www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This year's USDGC enlightened me to something new...."The Buncr Rule".

I Don't know if others were already using it before. Definitely took the infamous 17 and toned it down just a touch.

Earlier in the broadcast, I was watching a dude come up short....shot after shot...like 4 times...thinking....."holy $#!t" ...."that's a double handful at best"....it wasn't till the second day I heard them mention the new rule.

I liked the new rule....adds difficulty without being completely devastating!!!

This could technically be factored into a course design....any course design.

If done tastefully, with a nice looking professionally done rock wall for maximum lifespan...It could add something cool to one of those boring transitional type holes that appear in most course designs. Could also be done with a rustic cattle fence type construction....old railroad ties....landscape timbers...or on the cheap with fallen tree trunks and logs.

Any thoughts on that?

How would you feel about something like that on your home course?

How would you play it in casual rounds?...i.e. by the course rule if were to be or would you shrug it off and play your lie where it landed?

Tags: bunker, casual, disc, golf, rule

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Couldn't have said it bett Mark. The year I was fortunate enough to play, the island hole was just like it should be, NO BUNCR! Hole 18 is just as you said for lefties but I was extremely lucky the first round and carded a 3 on that hole.
Threw a drive to the middle and then threw the best turnover of my life to the basket.
Wow, thanks for this thread. I have not yet bought a new rules book (mine is from 1998 or later). I saw these holes watching the live TV, I had never seen it before and assumed each drive was 2 strokes.

I'm going to talk to Fred Salaz now and see how they play Idlewild because they have those things designed into the course.
I never was a big fan of the artificial OB rope line....but do understand the concept...best players in the world the toughest course possible.

With the addition of the buncr rule concept.....you could design something like this into a lack luster boring hole on a more permanent basis to add difficulty. Not every course has cool water hazards to contend with....so definitely, it could add some of that drama without the loss of a disc or compounding penalty strokes. To me it would have to be done with something that looks like it belongs....a permanent structure....rocks....logs...etc.
I'm not a fan either. The 1000 ft hole at Idlewild has a landing zone less than 10ft front to back and about 15ft wide surrounded by OB. Doesn't make sense.
There are these videos out there. They have great instructional stuff on it. I think Discraft puts them out and the instructor seems pretty darn good! lol!!!
perhaps we could use the red ant colony infestation as a permanent difficulty addition for OB here in Fl.Those with the least ant bites continue without too much pain.That's added drama.
So.....That's a NO to a Buncr Area as permanent design option...lmao!!!
liked your idea of added drama as I deal with ant bites to my shoulder,lol Definetly would add interest to a boring hole
We already got the ant bites...nothing really new there....even with thousands of rounds even the most attentive golfer....gets the ants....now and then.....and there always one more!!!!
Have to agree with you there.A good round is Only one ant bite.
I played Idlewild casually with a local who plays and volunteers there. We played the island holes as standard O.B. with all standard options and penalties. I thought it was a cool design concept, but some of the islands offered little risk/reward if you played it where it was last in bounds because the islands were so small. There's no point to laying up short, pitching on and dropping in if you can run it, miss o.b. past, and still have a 15 footer. Playing them as no-advance BUNCRs would be more interesting.

Why not a hoola-hoop every 70 ft. that had to be thrown thru. My course has no mando.s, no out of bounds, no tricks. There have always been disc golfers who search for ways to give themselves a way to compete with players with more talent. Practice doesn't seem to be to their liking, so they design courses where luck plays more of a part in the final score. The first rule You're taught is throw from where the disc lands. Since when can a course rule change a fundamental rule. Where are the rules that allow this. We may need a basic rules book instead of the misguided pdga snobs addendum filled volumn soon to come. We've all seen the tall baskets, here my answer to that...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968