www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This will be a open Discussion so feel free to let everybody know what this verse means to you or how it speaks to you, I think every verse has just what God wants and needs you to hear just at the moment you need to hear it.

The Daily Bible Verse - theDailyBibleVerse.org John 15:16-17 - You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. | Read today's commentary > http://www.thedailybibleverse.org

Views: 1213

Replies to This Discussion

Matthew 12:36-37 (NIV) - But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Today’s commentary by Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org

We are a people of words. We think in words. When we expand our vocabulary we expand our understanding. So it shouldn’t seem odd that part of God’s judgment will be the very words that we have used. Hitler used words to move a nation toward war; Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. used words to inspire a nation toward reconciliation. What we say is very important. Words are so important that the apostle John called Jesus the Word of God that became flesh. Therefore we need to value and weigh the words that we speak.

2 Corinthians 7:10 (NIV) - Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. Today’s commentary by Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org One of the great differences between godly sorrow and worldly sorrow is regret. Are we sorry for what we did, but we really wish that we could do that again? If so, you’ve not been gripped by the... pain that your sin has brought to the heart of God and those around you. Godly sorrow has no regret of what has to happen in order to walk in a new way. Worldly sorrow is only aware of the pain and consequences of being caught and wants to do the bare minimum to get by. How about us? Are we living more by godly sorrow or worldly sorrow?
‎2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV) - All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. Today’s commentary by Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org Paul uses the language of the Garden of Eden. When God formed Adam from the dust, He breathed his Spirit into him. In the same way, God has breathed His Spirit into the Scripture. It may have been formed by ink and parchment, but God’s breath takes words and turns them into a life changing force. The Scripture will give us everything we need to live on this earth. Take time and read it today!

Matthew 5:43-45 (NIV) - “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Jesus was stretching the imagination of the Jewish listeners. To love your enemies is to acknowledge that God loves them too. This is another way of saying that there is hope for anyone. No matter how evil or unrighteous someone may seem, the sun still shines upon them. We are challenged to live in the love of our heavenly Father, who wishes for none to perish and all to come to repentance.

‎1 Timothy 1:15-16 (NIV) - Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Today’s commentary by Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org What good news! Paul calls himself dysfunctional. This is not flowery speech or false humility but a true assessment. We are qualified to do amazing things for God because our qualifications are not based upon us, but God’s unlimited patience. Just like Paul, this understanding should cause all of us to give thanks and praise. When we get this truth we’ll stop placing barriers in front of ourselves that God never intended and God will get the glory! Hallelujah!

‎1 Corinthians 15:58 (NIV) - Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

The Corinthian church was being tossed about by its disgraceful conduct (affairs, church splits, and drunkenness just to name a few). The apostle Paul would have many excuses to throw his hands up in despair over the problems they were having. Instead, Paul writes an encouraging word to them: all of their efforts to deal with their problems were not in vain. In many ways, we see that Paul saw this group of believers on a journey, and he gives all of us hope as we deal with the dysfunction in and around us. The gospel allows us to give ourselves fully to the work of the Lord while we are working through our problems. That is good news indeed.

Psalm 119:33-34 (NIV) - Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end. Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.

When the Psalmist asks God to teach him how to follow God’s decrees, he gives us an important insight. It is one thing to learn the decrees, but another to follow them. In an age of quick and easy information, this passage challenges us to take as much care in applying God’s word to our day-to-day lives as we may take in learning it. The access to Biblical insight is plentiful, but the world needs to see Christians who apply those insights in a tangible way. Take a moment and think about things that you already know that need to become a reality today

Proverbs 1:15-16 (NIV) - my son, do not go along with them, do not set foot on their paths; for their feet rush into evil, they are swift to shed blood.

Swiftness is one of the characteristics of sin in the Scripture. Whether it is the adulterous woman in Proverbs 7 who runs to a young man or this depiction of the wicked rushing to shed blood, there is an urgency that sin thrusts upon us. How many decisions did we hastily make that caused us sorrow later on? Sometimes it is better to purposely wait, to walk away, and in so doing, keep away from the paths of wickedness.

Isaiah 55:9 (NIV) - “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Sometimes we can forget that God is very different from us. Our standards of “the way things out to be” and God’s standard can be perplexing, for it seems that God does things that we don’t understand. Yet our response to the confusion is an acknowledgement that we are not God. He knows the beginning from the end and there are mercies going on that we have no reference for. This is the nature of God. So worship the Lord, for though He is near, He will not be contained by our thoughts or our comprehension. This is what makes Him mighty – and mysterious.

Proverbs 30:5-6 (NIV) - “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Have you ever read a Scripture that made you very uncomfortable? This shouldn’t be surprising. Because the Bible is flawless and eternal, it will challenge each generation’s prejudices and blind spots. For all of our attempts to tame or adjust it, the Scripture is above every culture. So seek refuge in His word. Our discomfort doesn’t mean that the Scripture is not true, but the assumptions that are unique to our generation are being exposed in a light that is not of this earth.

Ephesians 1:11 (NIV) - In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

There is great joy and freedom when you realize that you didn’t choose God, but He first chose you! This great love is what every person faces when they come into the kingdom of heaven. God’s activity didn’t just happen at salvation, but this continues throughout our lives – God is working things out in ways that we don’t see. So take heart; God is actively involved in your life, both in ways that you can see and ways that are invisible to your view. Rejoice in that truth. Trust in His unending love.

John 14:23 (NIV) - Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

How does God measure love? Jesus said that our love will cause us to obey His teaching. When you love someone, the requirements of a relationship are not burdensome. Just ask someone who is engaged if the restriction of not going out with other people is a hassle. They will look at you like you’re crazy! In the same way, when you’ve been gripped by the love of Jesus, the teachings of the Bible are life to our hearts.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968