www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This will be a open Discussion so feel free to let everybody know what this verse means to you or how it speaks to you, I think every verse has just what God wants and needs you to hear just at the moment you need to hear it.

The Daily Bible Verse - theDailyBibleVerse.org John 15:16-17 - You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. | Read today's commentary > http://www.thedailybibleverse.org

Views: 1307

Replies to This Discussion

1 Peter 2:13-15 (NIV) - Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.
Today’s commentary by Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org
Just before this passage Peter calls us a royal priesthood and a holy nation, now he talks about submitting ourselves to human institutions (and this was in the time of Caesar!). This is an important progression because the royal priesthood sets us apart from every other people group, but by submitting ourselves to local authorities we cannot segregate ourselves from the culture at large. In others words, our unique identity is meant to be expressed in the mainstream of life and not in isolation. Our salt is for those who don’t believe. Our light is for those who are in darkness
1 Corinthians 12:13 (NIV) - For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
It is easy to get short sighted about the body of Christ through our local church. We can even think that our local community is the only expression of faith in that neighborhood, but the Bible tells us that Christ’s church is made of different kinds of people from different backgrounds. There may be disagreements about methods of baptism or expressions of worship, but if we look to Jesus Christ as the Lord of the earth, then we are in the same family. If this is the case, how would you look to other churches in your neighborhood—as competition, or as part of God’s diverse expression to His creation?
1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIV) - Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
Let’s not underestimate the fact that we live in a world filled with spiritual battles. There is an enemy who is looking for our weak spots—the places of inconsistency in our lives—that he can exploit for our hurt. This is why the apostle Peter tells us to stand firm in our faith, for our walk with God has to be based upon His promises, not our abilities. We all have weaknesses, and unless we focus our minds and hearts on what God has said, we become an easy target for the devil and his appetites. So keep your eyes and ears open, because this is a fight that will find you, no matter where you are.
Exodus 20:1-3 (NIV) - And God spoke all these words: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me.
Today’s commentary by Caesar Kalinowski, GraceNYC.org
The first of the 10 Commandments is “I am the LORD your God…you shall have no other gods before me.” If we truly believe and live out this first commandment, it will keep us from breaking any of the remaining nine! This is because if we keep God first in our life, above everything else, he himself will actually make us righteous before him. He is the LORD—I AM that I AM. He is the ultimate reality of life, love and power. When we believe this and submit our lives to him, we’ll not be led astray by other “gods” of this world or the “gods” of our flesh that would seek to destroy us. God desires to bring us out of a land of slavery to sin and self, and under his loving rule in all areas of our lives. Living out this first command truly will fulfill all the rest!
Note: In the days that follow, we will look more closely at each of the 10 Commandments and how obedience to the 1st Commandment is the fulfillment of all the rest
Exodus 20:4-5a (NIV) - “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God
We can mistakenly think that what God is talking about here are merely idols made by human hands—things like totem poles or statues of other gods or people. But bigger than that are the idols of the heart. An idol is anything that takes first place in our life and affections; anything that becomes a “functional god” in our life is an idol. What are the things you put your trust in? What controls your thinking and actions throughout the day? Is it your job, education or social status? Maybe it is approval from a certain person in your life. When any of these things take first priority, above God in your life, they are idols.
If we truly live out the first commandment, “have no other gods before God”, we will not bow to success, public opinion, savings accounts, career or anything else that is not actually the living God himself. He alone will be our God having first place in our hearts and lives, displacing all other idols
Exodus 20:13 (NIV) - “You shall not murder.
When we read this 6th Commandment, ‘you shall not murder’, we all sigh a breath of relief, “At least I’m keeping this command!” But remember, Jesus really raised the bar on this when he taught that if we have hate or hard hearts toward another person it is the same as if we murdered them. Ouch. Now we’re not doing as well. Murder, either physical or via our hearts, is a big deal to God because it infringes on his rule and reign. He created all people and relationship, and he alone has control over our lives. If we keep the first command to have no other god before God, then we can never place our self in the position to take a life. Murder happens because someone wants to change a situation to his or her liking by removing another person-either physically or by rejecting them. That is playing God.
Exodus 20:14 (NIV) - “You shall not commit adultery.
This is another one of the 10 Commandments that Jesus taught on. No longer could we keep this command by simply abstaining from sleeping with another person’s spouse. Jesus revealed that our hearts commit adultery if we even lust after someone sexually (Matthew 5:28). God instituted marriage as a display of his glory. When a man and a woman submit themselves humbly before God in marriage, the world gets a picture of how God really is. Again, if we live in obedience to the first commandment of keeping God alone as God, we would want to have the same heart toward others as he does. We break both commandments when we see someone merely as an object to be used for our own pleasure. That is playing God and not relating to others in the way that he intended. Taking someone (another persons spouse) physically, sexually or in our hearts is actually stealing from God. He gives marriage to couples as a gift and display of his glory. Keeping God first in our life protects us from adultery.
Exodus 20:15 (NIV) - “You shall not steal.
When someone steals something, in essence they are being their own provider. They are thinking, “God has not taken good enough care of me, so I will have to supply this for myself…” We are not keeping God first in our life when we steal. Stealing betrays the fact that we think we can provide for ourselves in ways that are better and richer than God! We put our provision for self above his—in essence making our self into a god over our lives. Also, when we want something that God has not yet chosen to provide in our life, and we want it bad enough to steal for it, we have made that thing into an idol. “I must have it!” We have effectively placed that “god”, and our own desires, before God and his perfect will and provision in our life. So we see that stealing something is not just a matter of it being wrong to take something that is not ours, but it’s an offense to our good and generous God.
Exodus 20:16 (NIV) - “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Lying distorts reality. We give a false testimony, or tell a lie about something, to change someone’s perception. It may be a person’s opinion of us, our abilities or strength. It may be to change their perception of another person. Either way, we are trying to be “God” in the situation. We are actually taking control over another person’s mind and emotions when we tell lies. Lying is an offense to God because he has commanded that we have no other gods before him—including us! If we believe and trust God to love and care for us in all things, we never have to lie to try and manipulate the circumstances. We only lie because we do not believe God is big enough to handle a given situation, so we take control of people and things with our words. We act like we are God in the situation. Trust that God is ‘large and in charge’ of everything in your life. Allow him to be your defender and you will no longer need to lie
Exodus 20:17 (NIV) - “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
The word covet does not come up in everyday language much. But it certainly is a part of everyday life! The definition for coveting is: to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others. Behind this is a heart of ingratitude, selfishness and a belief that God has somehow withheld something from us. “I sure wish I had one of those… or, “why isn’t my spouse more like them…or, “why do I have to stay in this job…?” Wanting what we don’t have displays that we are not satisfied with God’s provision in our life. “I deserve better than this!” And, “I know what I need better than God does.” When we believe that God is infinitely good, and we remember that he alone is sovereign, we can set all coveting aside. Another way of translating this command would be, “Be satisfied with what your generous God has given you!”
Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV) - Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
When we love God with all of our heart, soul and mind, we declare that we have no other gods or idols in our life. God alone is worthy of our worship, admiration and affection. Everything and everyone else pales in comparison to this great and loving God!
Psalm 102:23-24 (NIV) - In the course of my life he broke my strength; he cut short my days. So I said: “Do not take me away, my God, in the midst of my days; your years go on through all generations.
God breaks the strength of every person that He uses. God could not use Moses when he was a highly trained Egyptian royal; Moses had to become a desert nomad before God could guide him. David was not ready to become king after slaying Goliath; though David was anointed as king, he would spend years running from the jealousy of king Saul. It seems that we are most useful to God when our trust in ourselves has been worn out, and that is when God can use us most, because we are more dependent upon His leading than our abilities

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968