www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I see bits of info here and there about the Katana but are kinda random and detail-less, and I see alot of people interested in them so I figured I'd throw this out there.....

If you have thrown one give us the details of your experience with it, and please include details about the disc. What plastic was it? What stamp/run was it? Japan Open? Proto Star Stamp? 2010 Worlds? What weight was it? What color was it? Was it flatter or domier?

Also, to make this info more usefull to others, please also include some details about yourself. What comparable drivers have you thrown and how do they compare? What weight drivers do you normally throw? Was your Katana on the heavier end or lighter end compared to weights you normally throw? How far do you throw?  How did you throw it? Sidearm? Forehand? Anhyzer? Hyzer? Luke Skywalker Hyzer/Toma-roller?

Ok it might seem like alot but if you take the time to post your oppinion about the disc for other to read the you probably will be kind enough to see the point in this, its cool if you post and other know you/your throwing style but if they don't its kinda vague. If I read that someone wrote  "got a 170 katana and its real over (or under) stable" it doesnt really do me any good because I don't know you or what you normally throw....so I don't know if you are a 6 year old kid who normally throws 130 class stuff and are saying "man this thing is super stable" or if you are a Pro who throws max weight over 600 feet and are saying "man this thing is super stable".......makes a big difference. Just tryin to encourage the people nice enough to share to not spare the details, it helps alot! Thanks in advance.......

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Katana=Less Stable Boss.
or what the groove was supposed to be.
I heard it was a faster Roadrunner. if it's not, then I don't want it.
I threw two separate Katanas. One was my friends Star Katana and I think that it was a bit flatter. I threw it on a hole where I would usually throw my Sidewinder. I believe that the weight was 172. It threw with almost the same technique as I would throw a Sidewinder, but it went further. The other one I threw was from a different friend and seemed to be domier. It also seemed to be more overstable. I don't remember the weight of this one. I had better results with the first. As for throwing it into a headwind, I might try it with some big angle to start. I have thrown a Sidewinder into a headwind, but I didn't start it flat. I know that might sound crazy, but if you know what you're doing it is possible. I also don't have a super powerful arm to flip the disc over. Anyway, my results with two different discs were definitely different.
I own every Katana except a 2010 Japan Open 1st Run Champion Katana Samurai stamp and a 2010 Pro Worlds Star Katana. I have been throwing, and continue to practice with, a Day-glo yellow 2010 Japan Open 2nd Run Champion Katana Lady Samurai, 174.2g and a bright green 2010 Presidents Cup Echo Star Katana, 175.1g. I also have a 1/123 Japan Open Champion Katana Samurai, a 1st Run Pro Katana, a 2010 US Masters Tim Selinske Champion Katana, and a 2010 AM World Champion Katana. At this point, I do not plan to throw any of the others as I mainly bought them to collect, but couldn't resist on the two I've been working with (I have dupes of those that are unthrown).
I've actually lined up the Japan Open 2nd Run Champion Katana, the Presidents Cup Echo Star Katana, the 1st Run Pro Katana, and the AM World Champion Katana, on my counter so I could eyeball the flight plates up close. The most pronounced dome of the bunch is the 1st Run Pro Katana, followed by the Presidents Cup Echo Star Katana, then the AM World Champion Katana, and last the Japan Open 2nd Run Champion Katana Lady Samurai.
I throw RHBH and my go-to discs in the past for distance have been a Star Destroyer 172g and a Star Boss 167g. My longest throws with these discs have been about 430 ft, probably avg. 400-410 ft.
The J.O. 2nd Run Champion Katana is very flippy. If I don't throw it on a nice hyzer line, it will turnover hard and not recover. However, with a good hyzer line I have reached 450 ft. Despite the distance, I don't trust this Katana enough to throw it every time I need distance. The hyzer line for me has to be just right.
The Echo Star Katana is definitely more overstable. I do like its flight characteristics more because I can keep it in the fairway better on a nice tight line. I get about the same distance with the Echo Star as I do the 2nd Run Champion.
I believe with more practice, I can hit 480 ft. on my throws. This year starts my 3rd year playing disc golf and I do believe there are still some throwing technique issues I need to correct. Hopefully, sometime this season, I might hit a 500+ ft. throw. I expect the Katana to help me get there.
I am waiting to hook up with a couple of local guys that can 600 ft. to see what they can or cannot do with the Katana. Now that Spring is coming, I hope to see them soon. Honestly, I can't wait to see them give it a try.
For those buying lighter weight Katanas, I can only imagine the hyzer line you must have to throw it on to get that nice S-curve out of it. Otherwise, I would think a light Katana would make a great roller disc. Definitely not a headwind driver.
I will probably end up giving the domey 1st Run Pro Katana a try here soon just to see how it compares.
Last, but not least, I have also been practicing with a max weight Discraft 2010 Memorial Championship Nuke. This disc rocks as well. Much more stable than the Katana, I've gotten greater distance out of the Nuke so far. Up to 15 ft. more distance. I believe the Nuke to be more consistent for my throwing style, but with the variety of Katanas out there, I think that disc can match up very well with the Nuke. The verdict is still out for me. Once the snow melts and the T-pads clear, we'll see what happens then.
I can vouch for this though, both the Katana and Nuke are rockets. They get out there so fast it's stunning.
RHBH normal drive 320ish, Im all arm power never could learn to throw with form. I throw two pro katana's first is a 167g in no wind i throw it about 350 with a slight S style flight path. I there is a head wind it flips over super fast. 2cd is a 175 which is slightly more stable, once again a no go in a head wind for me. I do throw with a slight hyzer. If I had to compare I would say its like my 172g star road runner but way faster. I mean these things git where that are going super fast.

However after throwing a freinds discraft nuke (unsure of weight), The nuke is a way better disc, atleast for me. Its just as fast but stable enough to chunk in some wind.
I loved it infact it replaced the Groove in my bag. I threw a 171 pro, white. Standard run of the mill disc, I usually throw somewhere between max weight and mid 170's. I'm a RHBH player and normally throw consistently in the 350+ mark but have been able to throw further when every thing connects. I throw a Boss for my over stable driver, and Grooves and Orc for every thing else. The best way I know to describe it is if you were to cross a Sidewinder with a Groove, it has the nice s-curve that you would get from throwing an under stable disc on a hyzer but has the nice cut at the end like a Groove does when they slow down at the end of the flight. I been throwing it much further than the Groove and have hit 400+ a couple of times this year already and haven't even had that much time to work out the best way to throw it, I will say this it seems that if you throw it on a hyzer release and get good snap that it will S-curve a mile and then come out of it for a nice cut at the end. Keep in mind that its not a particularly over stable disc so it really cant be compared with the Boss or Nuke, in fact it flys much like the Orc and Beast did for me before I started to develop an arm, a must have for any player who throw those types of disc!
I max around 450' and average 350'. The Pro Katana is junk. Thrown with a 40 degree hyzer, it will flip over and tail off hard right (max weight). The 175g Star (Orange) Pro worlds Katana is money so far. I would describe it as a less stable Boss. Thrown flat it will travel with a long slight anny and then fade some at the end. I've not thrown a champ Katana yet, but I've played a round with another player with about the same range and our throws tended to land right by eachother, with him throwing max champ and me throwing max star. I also have a white Pro Worlds that is 167g. It is very much like the Pro Katana. It takes an extreme hyzer release to keep this squirrely sucker straightish. The orange Pro worlds star is harder consistency and flatter than the lighter Worlds white star is, and my buddy's Champ is pretty domey.
I just bought a 171 gram pro katana and just tried it yesterday in 10 degree weather with no wind on a soccer field. With minimal footing and just a little run up it went 400 feet no problem and flipped over a little bit. I'm a RHFH player but threw this one RHBH at a 45 degree angle. It compares to a sidewinder but a lot faster.
My son won a pro worlds 166g Star Katana and gave it to me because it was too light.
I have been throwing it for over a month now and it has been a very good disc for my level of power. My longest shot so far was about 360' which is very good for me. I think I am averaging about an extra 30' on my drives where I used to throw my sidewinder.
Katana is More like a faster Monarch.
It would be more comparable to your Roadrunner than a Boss would.
I would encourage you to try one if you like the action of your Roadrunner.
Stick with the Pro plastic so it can break in and get flippy like the Roadrunner.
True.
Groove ended up being it's own thing.
Still Extremely popular.
It is number 3 on our "Top Selling" List.
Wonder if the Katana will catch it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968