www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I see bits of info here and there about the Katana but are kinda random and detail-less, and I see alot of people interested in them so I figured I'd throw this out there.....

If you have thrown one give us the details of your experience with it, and please include details about the disc. What plastic was it? What stamp/run was it? Japan Open? Proto Star Stamp? 2010 Worlds? What weight was it? What color was it? Was it flatter or domier?

Also, to make this info more usefull to others, please also include some details about yourself. What comparable drivers have you thrown and how do they compare? What weight drivers do you normally throw? Was your Katana on the heavier end or lighter end compared to weights you normally throw? How far do you throw?  How did you throw it? Sidearm? Forehand? Anhyzer? Hyzer? Luke Skywalker Hyzer/Toma-roller?

Ok it might seem like alot but if you take the time to post your oppinion about the disc for other to read the you probably will be kind enough to see the point in this, its cool if you post and other know you/your throwing style but if they don't its kinda vague. If I read that someone wrote  "got a 170 katana and its real over (or under) stable" it doesnt really do me any good because I don't know you or what you normally throw....so I don't know if you are a 6 year old kid who normally throws 130 class stuff and are saying "man this thing is super stable" or if you are a Pro who throws max weight over 600 feet and are saying "man this thing is super stable".......makes a big difference. Just tryin to encourage the people nice enough to share to not spare the details, it helps alot! Thanks in advance.......

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just saying that I have thrown a Sidewinder into a headwind and most people would not do that. I had to start it on a hyzer angle of nearly 90 degrees. Then it would come out, start to turn over and end up flat. Not for everyone and not very easy to do. I don't have the biggest of arms either. I haven't tried to throw a Katana into a headwind yet so I have no experience with that.
With no wind I can throw a huge anhyzer distance drive with the star (Lemon Lakes stamp) and it will glide twords the target. In the head wind it doesn't seem to flip as well. I can also throw this disc out on a normal hyzer and if I take enough off the shot it will kind off hold a line similar to the groove (when I throw the groove with 100% snap and arm). I like that because it saves my arm. JMO
I've been observing this Disc..and threw a couple of versions...Pro and Star...I didn't like the pro...it was understable GARB !!!! The Star, however held promise. I'm not one to jump on the new disc bandwagon...will watch and see how durable they end up being.
I throw RHBH and my average drive is around 310'. As Innova says "this disc if for the finess thrower" AKA...Noodle arms like me. I must admit I was skeptical, because I felt. You still had to have the arm speed to reach a speed of "13". Of all the molds that I've thrown. The 2nd run Japan Open CFR is my favorite due to the softer plastic. Can't and won't throw my 1st run or "Special Blend" discs, sorry. The 2nd run is 168g and is about as stable as the Star version and the Masters CFR is the most stable imo. I am amazed at how easy this disc is to throw and even more amazed at how fast this disc takes off. With the gummy 2nd run. I just put a little hyzer angle on it and I get a nice tight helix. As for the helix, the trippy part is that the "turn" occurs very late in it's flight. Almost the last 3/4 of flight before it starts it's turn and then fades out. As for the Masters CFR. I find that it can take a mild heawind with some hyzer on it. Over all imo it's the best performer out of the bunch. I just like the feel of the softer plastic in the 2nd run and the test plastic.
I must say, I am not a big fan of the new wider rimmed discs, but this discs has found a spot in my bag. How can you complain about 20+ feet added to your drive and no monster skips that seem to be common with this new breed of discs. I hope the Nuke lives up to the hype. Then I'll have a new headwind disc.
A long fast disc it is, a headwind disc it is not.
try throwing it at a slower arm speed. my champ can hold a pretty good line in a headwind.
like a first run boss.
I throw RHBH and average 385 on a flat hole. I usually throw Boss or Nuke for Distance and throw them flat. Almost all my drivers are between 170 and 174 grams. I can hyzer flip the Boss but not so much the Nuke. I often hyzer flip a SW for a good steady fade to the right and love it on some tighter holes. Give the SW 20 feet on a hyzer release and good snap, its amazing. About the Katana....

I currently have a 168 Pro Katana, white, a lil domey and feels smooth. I have thrown a Champ Lady Samuari and a Star Pro Worlds. I like the pro's the best. If there is any wind at all outside of a slight tailwind, the Katana stays in the bag period. I have a 175 on the way and hope it can handle a slight wind. I have throw the Katana about 390 uphill a few times and can really rely on it to flip right when needed or hold a gentle hyzer flip when needed as well. It is a good disc. I will say this....

I have recently learned to throw farther consistently and used to not be able to throw the Katana well. If you do not have good snap or a good strong pull, save yourself the money and do not get one. This disc is NOT FOR noodle arms as Innova originally said it could be. Case in point, if you like and can throw a SW how it is supposed to be thrown and want something longer, and you can handle speed 12 or 13 diswcs, get a Katana and you will love it. If you cannot throw faster discs, don't get it because you will probably hate it. The Katana does have a smaller rim which I do not like, I have bigger hands and fingers and love the beefy NUKE!!!! My fav. and most reliable driver is definitley my NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968