www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

FROLF. How do you feel about this little word.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's 3 for and 7 against so far. I mean 8. I've never warmed up to it myself, sounds like a completely different activity or a dance or something... Like a word someone came up with in an attempt to fit in.
Frolf seems a little childish to me as well. I prefer disc golf but use frisbee golf with people who have never heard of the disc golf before
I'm not a fan of frolf. I like disc. Why do we need to add the "golf" to the end? I don't wear ugly pants and drink metamusil....I play disc!
I suggest something that sounds tougher. As Craig mentioned, I dont't really like my game being associated with ball golf types.
how about discus basketus?
basketdisc?
chainslapping?
(sounds like it hurts)

But no... that won't work either. We need the word 'golf' in the term not for ourselves, but for those who are new or unfamiliar with the game. They can get a good idea what it is about from the name. 'Frisbee Golf' or 'Disc Golf'
Personally, I believe the word 'Frisbee' implies visions (in the mind of a new, or non-disc golfer) of the toy that is tossed by hippies at the beach.
That's why I prefer the term 'disc golf'
I think Frolf is a term that is best used among friends or family that are already familiar with the game.
i have to agree i dont like frolf seeings it is called disc golf anyways. I know some people that get upset when you call it a frisbee and not a disc.
AuS-Discgolfer said:
i have to agree i dont like frolf seeings it is called disc golf anyways. I know some people that get upset when you call it a frisbee and not a disc.

I agree with those who get upset with the term Frisbee over Disc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines:

Fris·bee
Pronunciation:
\ˈfriz-bē\

—used for a plastic disk for tossing between players

{I know disc golf originated with the Frisbee but Discs are meant to be thrown and not caught. Granted you can throw some soft putters and play catch with them but for the most part everything else that is thrown is not intended to be caught.}
These guys want to splinter "Frolf" from Disc Golf:

http://frolf.com/Welcome.html

"Frolf, unlike Disc Golf, is a freeform amorphous game, played among friends in a social setting without the confines of a course laid out by professionals attempting to force conformity." It just gets better from there! Well worth the read, if only for the entertainment value.
i don't say xerox machine it's a photocopier, i blow my nose with a tissue not a kleenex, and i play disc golf not frisbee golf. i just can't see using a brand name to describe something that isn't made by that company. would anyone call it innova golf (in-golf)?
I was thinking the same thing.

Brandon Ballou said:
Not to take it too far, but I think that when you mention "Frisbee" golf to an unknowing person, they
don't take it as a real or serious sport. People seem to be more interested when you talk about
"disc" golf.
.......Frolf is a flippin' joke!
On other discussions, I've mentioned attitudes like this. So many people say stuff like this and then wonder why people don't take disc golf seriously... Contrary to your statement, Craig, not all golfers wear ugly pants and drink Metamucil, just as all disc golfers don't fall into the stereotypes of outsiders. In fact, as a group ball golfers are much better dressed than disc golfers.

I like the term "disc," though. It's catchy.

"Wanna disc?"

"Wanna play some disc?"

I like it.

Craig said:
I'm not a fan of frolf. I like disc. Why do we need to add the "golf" to the end? I don't wear ugly pants and drink metamusil....I play disc!
what does that mean?
frisbee golf?
I rather hear frisbee golf cuz' everybody knows what a frisbee is.
Ed Headrick said he invented that word but I believe that word came out of the Netherlands in a province called Friesland...
If I say to people I play discgolf, they say; what? disco golf?
They are clueless.
But if I say I play frisbee golf, they kinda know what I mean...
I don't like frolfing at all... It just sounds soo... magoo sounding.

Frisbee golfing isn't prefered but at least it's acceptable. Disc golf is the wordage of choice

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968