www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The First/One Disc Question: First/One Disc to Buy to get the people in our lives into the game?

Hello, enjoying the conversations on here and had this thought, we all love this game and want it to grow. But, I am finding it can be tricky introducing friends and loved ones...overcoming some negative preconceived ideas, learning what discs not to give out around water... :-) , but with ALL the discs out there...am seeking wisdom, especially in this season of giving. 

So, what ONE disc could I buy for the people in my life that they would love, be able to throw visibly well from the start, could use as a driver, putter, etc? 

People in mind...

So, best first disc for a girlfriend who loves pink? ( She loves zumba and doing kettlebells...but, can't seem to get her playing with me outside...)

Best discs to buy the preteen niece and nephew? 

Best disc to buy the reluctant buddy who does not think he can play sports?

Best disc for the college jock who never tried the sport? (do any companies out there stamp with college stamps?)

Thanks!

Views: 564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the Stingray is probably the best all-in-one starter disc. All the new players that I let use it seem to throw it pretty well and it is a multi-purpose disc, you can drive and putt with it if you really want to. I purchased one for my little brother for Christmas this year because he is starting to get into disc golf. And really its a Stingray need I say more? you cant go wrong with this one, either for you or your friends and family

I'd go with a Roc.

Pre-teen and girlfriend I would suggest a fuse by lat. 64, or a comet or meteor by discraft.

For the buddy or jock I would suggest a core by lat 64, a buzzz by discraft, or a Roc by Innova.

not a driver,but yes to roc or buzzz

for kids, I'd say 150g Spider

for adults I'd say(and have said) Mako

Buzzz, Roc, Core, Cobra and my fav...Spider, because it's a small diameter disc. Or the standard Innova pack Leopard, Shark, and Aviar. For kids, anything in the 150 class.

1. Yeti Aviar Putter (putters are more forgiving than any other disc and beaded putters can be easily driven).

2. ESP Discraft Impact (good utility disc).

3. A Flex Buzzz (anyone can have fun throwing a Buzz).

4. What sport for the jock?  If its baseball, I would suggest a 165g star Firebird for thumbers and tomahawks.  If it is

another sport, a glow champ roadrunner (easy to turn over, will hyzer back at distance).  Yes, if a tourney is held at 

or  near college campus, like a Notre Dame stamped disc that was available at a tourney I attended a few miles off

campus.  The students were selling discs, t-shirts, minis, etc. for a fundraiser for a on campus course.

If your looking for a disc with a college logo you can get one custom dyed.

Just pull a disc out of the trunk and let them throw. If they can handle that then go buy them a Sidewinder or DX TeeBird. If they can't handle it then you didn't waste your money.

In reality, any of your stable to understable mid-ranges are going to be your best all-in-one disc for a new player. Buzz's and Roc's being perennial favorites. For girls and younger kids, tie-dyed and graphic dyed discs are fun to look at. I got my (now ex) girlfriend a tie-dyed buzz for her birthday. She loved that disc, even though she was positively atrocious an unteachable.

Where's the like button Cass?

Ladies and Kids- Lat64 Diamond is amazing. 150g Discraft XL, 150g Shark or Stingray, 150g Dx Aviar P/A

Jock- 170's Lat64 River, 175g Champ Aviar P/A

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968