www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The First/One Disc Question: First/One Disc to Buy to get the people in our lives into the game?

Hello, enjoying the conversations on here and had this thought, we all love this game and want it to grow. But, I am finding it can be tricky introducing friends and loved ones...overcoming some negative preconceived ideas, learning what discs not to give out around water... :-) , but with ALL the discs out there...am seeking wisdom, especially in this season of giving. 

So, what ONE disc could I buy for the people in my life that they would love, be able to throw visibly well from the start, could use as a driver, putter, etc? 

People in mind...

So, best first disc for a girlfriend who loves pink? ( She loves zumba and doing kettlebells...but, can't seem to get her playing with me outside...)

Best discs to buy the preteen niece and nephew? 

Best disc to buy the reluctant buddy who does not think he can play sports?

Best disc for the college jock who never tried the sport? (do any companies out there stamp with college stamps?)

Thanks!

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

any mid

Corndawg I wouldn't say any mid. I wouldn't hand a drone to a new player and expect a good round.

Come on everybody lets go back to basics. Obviously something understable and something midrange.  I would suggest a stratus (discraft) possibly a wolf (innova).  It needs to be a disc that is beginner friendly and is going to teach them technique over power (or before power). Stay away from drivers for first discs.

drone is way to overstable

The basics of the game are that there are putters, mids, and drivers. At some point you are going to be throwing all of them to play the game at a normal level. There are no set standards, especially among the top players in the game, that state that they only threw putters and mids before moving on to drivers. Using putters and mids as part of a learning regimine along with drivers is the basics. As long as you learn what are new player friendly molds in each class of discs you'll do just fine.

GF and kids: Diamond.

Everybody else: Roc or Buzzz.

An understable fairway driver would be best, I think.  Leopard, XL, River.  People like to throw far, if you can give them a disc that will do that for them, they're in.  I'd recommend a putter as well tho.

Comet.

correct.  I was just giving my opinion on... "First/ One disc to buy to get the people in our lives into the game."  

What beginners need the most is some basic instruction. No one disc is going to be a "magic" disc for a beginner. If they exhibit bad habits and bad technique they will simply not do well. I have seen a few beginners struggle, stepped up to them to give them a single tip, and watch as they are suddenly much happier with a disc that flies twice as far.

Any of the discs mentioned along with a Sidewinder would make great beginner discs. But please take the time to give them the basic instruction. With proper instruction they can probably throw a pizza pan over 200 feet. Without it they will struggle and get frustrated. Please don't forget the footwork either. The footwork sets up everything else. The X-step is critical to getting the body in the right position. And don't let them do the arm swoop either. Straight through.

Buy them a Sidewinder (possibly 150 weights). 

Skeeter or Classic Roc. They drive, upshoot, and putt. You're welcome.

As far as college stamps go its much easier to find one on an ultrastar disc, which is pdga approved. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968