www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Looking for comments or reviews on this disc. Looks interesting and was thinking about picking one up.

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There has been some interesting discussions on the boards about the consistancy of this disc. Bottom line was that the more dome the disc had the more stable it is. I have a higher dome opto that runs dead straight for most shots and can be turned over about -1 if I put the heat on it.

The goldline had more consistancy in production from one disc to the next, but they where all just different degrees of understable.

No doubt this is a great disc which ever way you choose to go.

I threw it next to my stalker, and it seemed to fly close to the same.  I don't think it is as understable as Lat 64 says.  It was pretty much dead straight with a bit of a hyzer at the end.  It did go consistently about 30 feet farther then my Stalkers.  I stopped using it because the rim felt a bit odd in my hand... very sharp edge.
There was a flashing issue on some of the Lat stuff that has been corrected in production now. Beat the disc in a bit and the sharp edge will come off. You may also have one of the higher dome Rivers that are more stable than Lats numbers indicate. Sounds like you have a winner there, enjoy it.
I have a River in the Gold line plastic.  I like the quality and feel of the plastic, but it flies overstable for me (RHBH).  I thought it was supposed to be an understable disc, but it sure doesn't fly like it.  Maybe it's just me.  I bought another disc of theirs that was supposed to be stable, and it flies overstable for me too.
I have a GL 173 in Hooker Nail Polish Pink. Pretty domey and a versatile disc. Sort of like a beat in Aero. Throw it straight and high and once it turns right it stays on a perfectly straight line for mid to 300 ft annys. Just don't throw it into a headwind.

Hmmm odd, I must have one of the understable crop (168g in GL plastic). I can hyzer flip it for a dead straight shot or throw it flat and watch it have a nice lazy/predictable turnover. Still fighting for a spot in my bag against my Leopard, but I like small diameter discs. It might just be a "don't care if I loose it disc" in my bag. I must also add, it is longer than my Leopard though.

One thing I found odd about Lat discs. Is that their LIGHTER weights were more overstable. I had a couple Halo's that were meat hooks (164g). I mean they were FX overstable.....crazy. Plus I had this happen to a couple of Strikers as well (166g)..GO figure?

For Rivers the general rules of thumb are:

Lighter weights and GL plastic both = more understable

If you get a lightweight gl it's like a busted in roadrunner w a bucket of extra glide

I've just recently figgered out that i can tune my game by throwing different weights of different stability. I got serious about DG during the time of only DX plastic. I always got max weight cuz they lasted longer. With the new plastics lasting forever compared to DX, I can pick a weight of ANY disc that will be just the right stability for my throwing speed. Heavy on the overstable (firebird), lighter on the understable (nuke).

If you give this a shot, you will dominate.

OK, so what I'm getting from this thread is that I want to get a max weight Gold Line to be able to have a straight flight path. On a calm day I can throw, let say a Z Avenger (something that wont "S"), around 300 feet if I throw it flat. So let me know if you think I'm choosing the right plastic and weight, thanks.

For me..  my OL 172 is dead nuts straight with very little left fade at the end. It has tons of glide so I don't need to crank it to get it to go. I feel it's close to a Star Leopard I used to have... I can get it to turn if I want but it's not a flippy disc out of the box. It's a great companion to my Champ.Teebird. The River rocks.. no boubt!  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968