www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I completely understand what a practice throw is -as far as tournament play is concerned. That being said, what would you do if a player in your group (with 3 holes left in the tourney, and you might just catch him or her) saw a player in a different group walking away from his or her disc, and at about fifteen feet, hailed the forgetful player and sidearmed it to them? And why?

Tags: courtesy, rules

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, rules are rules and douches are douches. Don't be that guy! Sucks when you get a guy like that in the group who is more interested in rules than skills. We don't have to and shouldn't ignore rules, but I think that guy took it too far. Lame!
We all play advanced and he placed ahead of me by one or two strokes.
Yeah, I can't tell you have many times I've lost because some douche calls the last sentence of 803.01A on me.
My brother plays with a huge douche that not only calls rules any chance he gets, but also has to be watched like a hawk or he'll fudge his own scores down. How do people like that even feel like they've accomplished anything?
It seems to me you deserve the strokes for losing the disc on your drive. Otherwise you just shank one say "oh I can't find it" and retee with no penalty? Or am I misunderstanding what happened.
I might say hey, but not a stroke, if a short toss, too quick for them to think about what they're doing. Technically, taking a piss in the woods is against the rules as it is an illegal act. We don't have to enforce every rule it would not be fun.
I expect to play with at least one fellow of this mental capacity in each and every group in a tourney (over-zealous disc golfers are the bane of the game)...therefore I would never throw a disc more than a foot, even for common courtesy...its quite sad to tell you the truth...but I certainly don't fault you for doing the right thing, which should never be penalized under any circumstance...
That's hilarious! I had just returned from watering a tree (off of the course) when I got stroked. Even if they'd stroked me for that as well, I'd have beaten both of them by one. Oh well.
Yeah he should just said "Hey Man, don't do that again" Nothing about that courtesy toss you described effects the outcome of the game.
Don't be that guy is the right idea......unless there was a cool million or more on the game. :)
Technically, in accordance with PDA rules, you shouldn't have been stroked for it. Any issue, be it courtesy violation, foot fault, or even this situation is due a "verbal warning" prior to actually being stroked. For future reference, you should (tell your group this and) record both scores on your scorecard (the penalized score and actual score) and address the issue with the TD as soon as the round is over. Sometimes, he'll allow the card to sort it out, unless he saw the "infraction" or, like in this case, knows it is a BS call. You're still due a verbal warning before an actual penalty stroke is delt out.
Was this a sanctioned PDGA event (A,B,C-Tier)? If it was I'd be more inclined to let the penalty stick, but, there has to be a certain level of understanding and sportsmanship for this sport to grow.

To Sean Perkins: Your group was absolutely right to stroke you. In competition (money round, tag round or tournement) the PDGA rules should stand, unless a precident is set ahead of time for all calls of that nature. When you drive and loose a disc, you should re-tee throwning 3, or your group needs to determine the last place the discs was seen and you throw 3 from there. Either way, you are stroked for the lost disc. If you chose not to stroke a competitor for teh same infraction, than that is also your fault. Sorry if this is "in your face" at all, but that is what the rules state. I know a lot of people play for tags so frequently that they sometimes fudge some fo the rules (foot fault, extra putt, etc) but those are "less serious" infractions than a strokable situation like a lost disc/re-tee

Part of the problem with PDGA rules is that a lot of them are left to the interpritation of the card/TD. Even the test to become a PDGA approved official is full of questions that are worded with "in case" scenarios. For example, I think one of the questions is, "If a player on your card throws a drive and it gets stuck in the tree, then the rest of your group throws and all of you are walking up to the drives when the 1st disc falls out of the tree and rolls another 30 feet toward the basket, how do you call it?" To satisfy your curiosity, the player plays the disc from where it stopped moving. But, as you can imagine, there is a lot of gray area when it comes to the rules, but we have typically been a sport that attracts calm, passive, logical people that would say, "I know you were just trying to return that guy's disc, so I'm not going to stroke you, even though, technically , it was against the rules."

I will add my sentiment that others have mentioned, "don't be that guy!" But also, don't be the guy that lets your friends get away with breaking rules in casual rounds because you play how you practice, and if your buddies let you get away with foot faulting everytime, and then they're on my card in a sanctioned event, I'll call you on it. I don't make the rules, but I do follow them, with an open mind in tournament play.
According to the PDGA rules, it WAS a practice shot AND it is a one stroke penalty. I don't know what PDGA rules Champ Wraith is reading, but mine state this pretty clearly:

PDGA Rules - Page 4
Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or 804.02 A (2).

I am not THAT GUY and would likely not have said anything. However, if I was the TD, I would have no choice but to assess the stroke if players came to me for a ruling. Because 15 feet IS a distance greater than 2 meters and the player readily admits he did throw it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968