www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I completely understand what a practice throw is -as far as tournament play is concerned. That being said, what would you do if a player in your group (with 3 holes left in the tourney, and you might just catch him or her) saw a player in a different group walking away from his or her disc, and at about fifteen feet, hailed the forgetful player and sidearmed it to them? And why?

Tags: courtesy, rules

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once again, many thanks to all for the sympathetic responses. Personally I think the rule is good as it stands. It is up to the players to decide whether or not they want to be a douche. In this instance, I think a warning would've sufficed. Having been a tournament official in the past, I told quite a few groups to decide for themselves unless it was obviously a major infraction.

Tee off and fly freely - Ed
Most of the replies to this don't seem to think people should get penalized because of what they see as a minor rules infraction.
Some understand the rules so little they think you can't get a penalty with first being warned.

If I ever play with any of you would you please tell me before the round starts what rules you don't like and aren't going to follow so I can ignore those too. I'd hate to have to play a tourney where I follow all the rules and you don't.

Let's turn it around. I would win Pro Worlds every year if everyone else has to follow the rules and I can just ignore rules I don't like. Wouldn't that be sweet!!!!
I nominate Pete
Obviously posts on here are open to as much mis-interpritation, as the PDGA rules. I'm not sure I said people couldn't get a penalty without first being warned, but I digress. I have experienced a number of disc golfers that take the rules more as mere suggestions than RULES, even in sanctioned events.
How many times have you been on a card and pulled out a stop watch to ensure that people are taking their shots within their allowed time frame? I never have, even as a TD. I have been in situations though, where a player is taking an excesive amount of time on each shot and we, the group, decided to make a request that he speed up. No hard feelings, no warnings, no strokes, were needed, just a little common courtesy.
Did that player technically break the rules associated with time limits? Yes. More than once? probably. But a casual conversation with the "offender" solved the issue.
I'm not sure this player was (blatently) ignoring the rules, as you rpost would suggest, but he did break the rules and we were able to reconsile the issue without strokes, TDs, rulebooks, and the like. This is kind of what I was referring to as sportsmanship. Not that we pick which rules to obey, but that we have an open mnd in dealing with "offender" so no one gets screwed out of placing in a tournament, like the OP.
umm, yea, DeeeeeBaggggg!!!!!
A valid point I suppose, but I think there's a difference between what should be fully enforced at the Pro Worlds and what's enforced in a local club tourney (especially without issuing warnings). The point is really that people enforce nit-picky rules on people who were obviously not trying to break them or get an unfair advantage. It could be argued, however, that in most of the situations described in this thread the people calling the rules were trying to get a cheap advantage, whether it was technically "fair" or not.
DeeeeeBaggggg!!!!!

After all the title of this post is about the SPIRIT of this game...

I doubt that anybody here would think that things never get called wrong in a tourney and that all rules are enforced all of the time. That is Utopia for some, but unrealistic. Hopefully in big tourneys if they have enough officials. Definitely you want to play within the rules so nobody has an unfair advantage.

Think about ball golf and all of the officials present.
I've played in dozens of ball (real) golf tourneys...there are very few officials around to enforce the rules (except in PGA tourneys where there are MILLIONS of dollars at stake).

In golf, the player is individually in charge of calling their own rules infractions--it instills a sense of honesty and integrity to the game that no other game can boast...to me, this is a MAJOR difference between the two games of skill...
That is true. Just don't forget Craig Stadler and what happened to him. He got called on an infraction (using a towel under his knee) after he had already left the course and was on his way home. A viewer at home called it in. He was DQ'd. Now that was a strange one. In disc golf the group is sort of the referee. That group mentality can be a bad thing if the group doesn't like the person in the lead and tries to get to them through rules haggling. Then the game is not what it is supposed to be, a test of ability. It then becomes a quest to manipulate the rules in order to get to someone.

I'm glad that I went out and played a round today. It's a lot more fun than talking about rules. And nobody called me on a single thing.

How about this one..

A couple of weeks ago in league a guy is throwing and can't find his disc. Everyone there is certain that it was stolen. I don't believe that any penalty was ultimately assessed. What is the exact rule on thievery? I was fine with that because a lot of people agreed. Just another weird one, though.
I would say Lost Disc applies to thievery...unless of course you can absolutely prove someone removed the disc...and then it's an interference call.. Replace the disc as close to the lie by a majority rule of the group....no stroke accessed.
Jim, If what you say is true, and the group is the referee, disc golf rules are maintained by a 'mob mentality'...not quite sportsmanlike...
And therein lies the problem if it is abused. I think that it generally works well, but there are those instances.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968