www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have seen discussions here lately about disappointing discs, or the best from each company, but not one where you got a disc and were surprised at how well it worked.

I have to say for me it is a Champion Viking 172 gr. I only got this disc after getting a 35$ voucher for winning a tourney. He had mostly Innova, I throw mostly Discraft. He didn't have any Innova I was familiar with except heavy Valkyries. I picked up a Viking and asked him how it was to a Valkyrie. He said just a little more stable. I picked it up, hoping it might find a way into my bag, if not it had a cool stamp and might make a great memento of the tourney tyo hang on the wall.

The disc ROCKs! I love it. It is super straight and did not have any tendency to turn over with full power. I was getting as good distance with it as I ever did with a Valk, and just shy of my record distance with a QJLS. The disc was a big surprise and found its way into my bag immediately where I need distance on straight shots. Distance is still improving with it and it may become my go to disc for max distance( currently held by my ESP Crush).

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The lowly DX aviar is by far the most underated disc in the world. I use it cotinuously in my game. hit metal from 100+ with it all the time. got one ace with my current one. The funny thing is I don't putt with it! but just about anything 120+ and in, its gonna get me close for a putt.
Beat DX Cobra is magic.
Renamed: Cobra Kai Warriors
They will hunt the chains even on a dark and crusty route with branches touching it all the way. They fight through. They twist and turn like a Cobra and magically end up by the basket.
New Star Roadrunner.
Renamed: Buttercup
With just a touch of snap, you can put this disc on a line and watch the performance. It will flip itself up to flat, glide forever and finish off in a nice straight line. Hmmmm. I can use that in a tournament! Holds a giant anny forever before gliding too. YUM!
Oh, and It will roll for a mile with a ton of accuracy. Bullet shaped wing makes this a bit understable out of the box. Sweet!

http://www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com/innovastarroadrunner-p-248.html
hoow about a champion red stingray, surprising because i have never lost it and its not produced anymore , its good for several holes which are short, tight, uphill or have a right dogleg. its a finesse disc that alot of people on the websites (esp. younger discers) don't seem to appreciate.
The R-Pro Boss - I bought one to try and the first round out with it almost aced a 310' hole, hard dogleg left immediately after going between two big leafy trees. The R-Pro Boss tracked like a cruise missile between the trees and then a textbook hyzer that ended up five feet past the basket. Two other holes that night it dropped within 10 feet of the basket. Not particularly durable (Do NOT hit trees!) but flies incredibly. I love this disc!
The Breeze...same as the most under rated disc in my bag.
Well, id have to so the most surprising disk that found its way into my bag would be a comet.
When i first got one, no one i knew threw it. All i have to say about it now is that is is the most controllable disc i own, on and off the tee pad.
This disc also surprised me. I have a Champion and a Star Boss, and they are really great forehand discs for me, as they are over-stable and I get a lot of airspeed on my forehand drives, so I need that.

But I have a lightweight R-Pro boss and it is understable. Admittedly, I "tuned it" by flexing the rim down, but I could not in the world ever throw the Champ or the Star backhand, and the R-Pro is getting me some great backhand distance.
my star orc never ceases to amaze me.
The Quest Backbone is a great surprise. Throws very straight and has tons of glide. I really thought this disc wasn't going to be very good since it's a little unusual (rounded egde/lip) but it's my go to midrange workhorse now.
Pro D Zone. I picked it up mainly because it was $8 and it said limited edition. At first I really didn't care for it. But now I think it is awesome! Backhand, Forehand, Long, Short.
The best thing is that it really holds a predictable line on a forehand shot, it has really increased my game. I throw predominantly forehand and it has always been hard for me to find discs to throw shorter distances on a forehand shot.
The Zone is awesome!
I would have to say my groove. Feels like crap in my hands but its my one of my longest discs (other one is my boss). For the longest time i was consistantly drivin 270ish, now im hitting over 300. I love it.
word to that man. prior to getting the groove all my forehand shots just turned over into the ground. first couple drives after getting the groove were so deep i couldn't believe it! it makes a beautiful S and has a very straight finish. i'd say it's only flaw is that because it is such a curvy disc, it is difficult to play with in heavily wooded courses, but other than that, the groove is my favorite forehand driver no question. can't wait to try out my new ecostar groove... in the mail, on its way!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968