www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So if someone was traveling to your home town what course would be your recommended course. in salt lake city utah I would say solitude ski resort. What an epic course worth long technical shots. Hole 18 is 1219 feet. If your in moab (southern utah) you need to play base camp. 4x4 recommended.

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In St. Louis, I think there are a few ways to answer this question.

If you were in town on business and wanted to get a round in after work, I would recommend Jefferson Barracks.  It is only about 20 minutes away from downtown or 30 minutes away from most business areas in the STL county.  There are always some friendly locals that are more than willing to show you around the course.  The course isn't terribly long (7,100 in its maxed out settings - which it hardly ever is) and is loaded with a variety of shots.  There is a reason why it is the most played course in the area...fun, fun, fun!

If you were in town for the weekend and wanted to maybe fit in a little roadtrip, I would head out to Centralia, IL.  It is maybe an hour drive (maybe 45 min) from Busch Stadium downtown.  It is an epic course designed by Dave McCormack.  It is the direction that championship disc golf has been headed more and more in the last few years.  It has legitimate par 4s and 5s that make this course play as a par 72.  You will go away feeling that you have just played something special.  They also have a really nice recreational 9 holer that you might as well play too.  On your way back to the Lou, you could even hit up Woodland Park in Collinsville, IL to fill out the day. 

If you were looking for a fun golf/after-golf-activity scenario, I would head up to Rock Springs Park in Alton, IL.  It is about 30 or so minutes from downtown.  The course itself is a ton of fun, with plenty of variety and treacherous greens.  But the after golf actvity is where this day becomes memorable!  Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) hits up Fast Eddies Bon Air at the bottom of the hill after their round (as long as you are 21).  Live music, cheap killer grub, the coldest beers anywhere and plenty of people watching.  It's an area institution that shouldn't be missed!

Honestly, if anyone is going to be in STL for a weekend of golf, you will not go away disappointed...just try to avoid the extreme cold/heat!

If you are in mid Michigan check out Memorial Park in Frankenmuth.  Its so pretty it should be on a post card. Rolling hills, plush green grass always mowed and clean.  Very picture-est Very long course,well worth the drive if you are anywhere even close. And Frankenmuth  is a german village that loves there beer and summer festivals.    So thats always a plus..
I live 1 hour from Dalaiwood Disc golf course in Olalla, WA. It is a Private course on the home property of Discraft Pro Scott Papa. I got to play 2 rounds on it this weekend and it is just AMAZING. Awesome course. Everything in this course from elevation changes, pin placements, the fairways are insane, it is just Crazy. A HAVE TO PLAY course if your near Seattle.

Recreation park in Bryan Ohio is the only course worth playing in my area 

Peccole Ranch in Vegas
Camp Collum just outside of Frankfort IN. There was a thread on here started by the eagle scout who ramrodded the project, he did a GREAT job. Bomber holes,short technical holes through the woods, elevation changes. wonderful course!
Grand Rapids, MI area = Fallasburg County Park. The rest of the courses in the area just "okay"
Black Butte Lake outside of Orland, Norcal.

In Los Angeles and Orange County:

1) Oak Grove for history (1st permanent course in the world)

2) Huntington Beach (2nd permanent course in the World) debatable

3) La Mirada (Too many Championships have been played here to mention, come find out why) My home course. "La Mirada Disc Golf, Where Champions are made"

I played la mirada. Fun course but was crazy crowded both times I played it. I played another course there but it was so long ago I forgot the name off it.
Unfortunately in my city (Colorado Springs) we don't have that sort of course that I would label as "must play". I still love playing Cottonwood Creek, even with all of its flaws, simply because we have enough pin positions to keep things fresh and interesting. Every couple of weeks you will be playing some different positions. So you can't just go out and throw the same shots day after day. The drawback to that course is that it is quite popular so expect to always deal with a lot of people (although a couple of days ago that wasn't the case). But the course should test all aspects of your game.

That being said the best course in my "area" is a mere five hour drive away and that course is Sipapu, New Mexico. A wonderful mountain course for sure. There are also more courses that I have not played in the Denver area as well. My dream course has to have variety as well as distance. I am not a fan of the shorty courses. I like a challenge for sure. Sipapu is in a beautiful mountain setting and is a great course working its way up the mountain before descending all at once down number 18.
I have heard sipapu is awesome. Solitude you can hike in or pay to ride the lift. It has 27 holes or you can olay it as 18. On the 18 hole 3 are up hill the rest are down or across the mountain. It has multiple pin placements with mid to long holes. Base camp in moab you are litterally playing on the red rock. Apperently its the 3rd most extreme course in the world.

Other then that creekside is the best ciurse in slc. It was built in 82 so its been around awhile. It to has multiple placemwnts that are changed up weekly. Its fun but can be busy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968