www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So if someone was traveling to your home town what course would be your recommended course. in salt lake city utah I would say solitude ski resort. What an epic course worth long technical shots. Hole 18 is 1219 feet. If your in moab (southern utah) you need to play base camp. 4x4 recommended.

Views: 459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Los Angeles and Orange County:

1) Oak Grove for history (1st permanent course in the world)

2) Huntington Beach (2nd permanent course in the World) debatable

3) La Mirada (Too many Championships have been played here to mention, come find out why) My home course. "La Mirada Disc Golf, Where Champions are made"

I played la mirada. Fun course but was crazy crowded both times I played it. I played another course there but it was so long ago I forgot the name off it.
Unfortunately in my city (Colorado Springs) we don't have that sort of course that I would label as "must play". I still love playing Cottonwood Creek, even with all of its flaws, simply because we have enough pin positions to keep things fresh and interesting. Every couple of weeks you will be playing some different positions. So you can't just go out and throw the same shots day after day. The drawback to that course is that it is quite popular so expect to always deal with a lot of people (although a couple of days ago that wasn't the case). But the course should test all aspects of your game.

That being said the best course in my "area" is a mere five hour drive away and that course is Sipapu, New Mexico. A wonderful mountain course for sure. There are also more courses that I have not played in the Denver area as well. My dream course has to have variety as well as distance. I am not a fan of the shorty courses. I like a challenge for sure. Sipapu is in a beautiful mountain setting and is a great course working its way up the mountain before descending all at once down number 18.
I have heard sipapu is awesome. Solitude you can hike in or pay to ride the lift. It has 27 holes or you can olay it as 18. On the 18 hole 3 are up hill the rest are down or across the mountain. It has multiple pin placements with mid to long holes. Base camp in moab you are litterally playing on the red rock. Apperently its the 3rd most extreme course in the world.

Other then that creekside is the best ciurse in slc. It was built in 82 so its been around awhile. It to has multiple placemwnts that are changed up weekly. Its fun but can be busy.

I am torn.

I live in Deltona Florida.

The closest is my Home Course "River City Nature Park" in Debary.  It has nine holes.

Then there's my club "Tuscawilla" in Daytona, 18 Hole Course with varied pin placements.  If you do not know of it, you would drive by it and not even know about it.

Apopka aka "Rock Springs".  Newest Course to the area.  Two 18 hole course that was converted from a ball golf course.

Barnett Park.  Two 18 hole Course.  A place where I saw Ken Climo compete this year.

There's Bill Frederick aka "Turkey Lake".  Two 18 hole courses.  Home of the "Orlando Open".  People from all over the US come to compete.

Which would I recommend ? 

Depends what you are interested in.

Florida has a heck of a lot of courses.  Toooooo many for me to mention.

So to answer your question, I would have to first ask you, What is your flavor ????

I would say the must play course for Central Florida is Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake. 36 holes, 18 of which are an amazing pro level course. Beautiful trees and some elevation changes.

Track season is in full swing, so while some of your travel party might be headed over to bet on some horses at Saratoga, you can take a quick 20 minute drive out to hyzer creek.

It's a very technical course, not the longest, but very fun to play. Hole 17 just had a doozy of an upgrade with a new Pro-Tee box along with the origional tee box for AM players. Pro Box is about 700 yards now with a huge dog leg left after first shot, then a curvy trip through a narrow line to the pin.

700 yards? that would be 2100 feet. Is that a par 9?
I played Hyzer Creek a few years ago, and I thought it was very cool.  The basket in the middle of the creek is on my screen saver.
In central/NW Iowa, I would say McHose park in Boone.  Be prepared for hiking and some interesting gaps if you play the hard tees.  Course is well maintained with paths and is interesting from the first tee shot.  I haven't had a chance to play with a local there, so finding my way around even with multiple pics of the course map on my digi was an interesting prospect to say the least but still a great course.
I have not played Boone yet, but I heard it's a challenge.  Has the maintenance gotten better recently?  Last I heard, there were poor signage, problems with creek crossings and a missing basket.  Still looking forward to trying it!
Yeah, it's confusing to navigate and I did not find every hole because it was muddy as hell, which I wasn't expecting since we hadn't had much rain in FD - signage is missing in spots but every creek crossing I got to was there.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968