www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

SO, we live on a cul-de-sac that has 6 homes. ONLY 3 of them are occupied, and 1 of those is about to lose its tenant. The DIRECT other side of our street is 9 open lots that the builder never got started before the Recession hit. I have been told by the HOA President that they are NOT going to build there now. So, the builder has walked away and the lots have grown Wild with Scotch Broom. 

My 2 Boys and I frequently throw old beat Aviars out in the cul-de-sac for practice without hitting anything, or even coming close. Which brought me to thinking, why let this vacant space go to waste when I could put in a PRACTICE HOLE!

I paced off (VERY Approximate, I have VERY short Strides) 2 tee pad placements, the longest giving me somewhere in the ballpark of 250 feet, the short at 160 feet. All I would have to do is knock down some scotch broom and I would have a fairway. I have taken and marked some pics below. 

I didn't get the Angles very well in the pics. For a RHBH thrower, the Short Tee would be a fairly straight to moderate Hyzer type shot. The Longer Tee would be more of the same, dependent upon Basket placement.....Which also brings in, I would be using a PORTABLE BASKET like a Mach Lite OR SkillShot. I am HOPING to get one of either for Father's Day... Wink, Wink. :) This would also give MULTIPLE movement options, BUT, THE COURSE I AM THINKING AND HAVE PICTURED IS WHAT I SEE AS THE SAFEST for not accidentally hitting a house, or vehicle. There is actually A TON of width on the side of the houses (left side), AND the side of the road (right side). We are a Private Subdivision, so traffic is not a deal at all.

I can do this for Basically FREE, and I would only have to walk 35 feet to go practice before I take off to the course, or just when I want to throw. Take a look at the pics and give me Y'alls thoughts. Sorry if the pics aren't that great, but Hopefully you can get the jist. The scotch broom is HIGH right now, made it hard to show my vision... :) Thanks all.

Views: 7

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd move the car before you tee off first on longteeview;>}
LOL! Tell me about it. I am having problems with "Target Fixation" lately too... :) Plus, my Car is Brand New. I don't want to make the 1st dent in it.

go for it! and if you let one get away from you and happen to break a window...

run away! the house is probably unoccupied anyway!

Thats the thing that makes me sketchy about the Longer Tee Placement. More room for broken windows. The Short Tee is REALLY out of the way of that happening. I know my pics don't show it well... But, the Longer tee pad would Definitely make that a BIGGER concern.
just don't throw anything longer than a midrange and make sure it's not overstable. i'd say stick to a putter... no way you're going to let that one hyzer away from you, and if you can learn to control a putter from 250 feet and in, you'll be money!
I STRONGLY suggest the DGA Mach Lite Portable Basket.  I've tried the skillshot and others but IMHO nothing compares to it in terms of durability OR chain quality.  Got it at DiscGolfBaskets.com for 138 bucks (free shipping). And no, I'm not a rep for them or anything
SWEET! Got to order a DGA Mach Lite Basket for Father's Day, so I will hopefully start working chopping in a practice hole here soon. I will post pics of the progress when I get started! Thanks to Dave Engle and others that have steered me towards the Mach Lite. I think I will be Very Happy with it. :)
I say go for it!!! hard to vissualize without seeing it in person but it looks like you have the right ideas!!!
I have a very small backyard and bought a mach II.  I felt so stupid afterwards because I realized I could have gotten a portable one and taken it with me for open field practice.  Luckily I have handy friends.  Currently working on plans to cut off the excess pole and design a base for the Mach II.  In the meantime, I just throw from the road, across the neighbors yard, off the rafters, off the backboard - nothin but net.
Lol. Last time I threw from the road, across the neighbors yard, off the rafters, and off the backboard, I got nothing but the side of my Neighbors Denali....:0 Don't tell Please.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968