www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

any links or pages to assist me in organizing a weekly league?

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

www.discgolfscene.com

Awesome for tracking scores and posting league rounds, Please it's totally free and will link up with a pdga to give you scores and acheivements from events.

If you go to stlouisdiscgolfclub.com and follow the link to the discussion board, you can check out some postings for a BYOP (Bring Your Own Partner) Tuesday doubles league, a weekly Thursday singles league, and a random draw doubles Sunday league.  Here is an address -http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13.

I run the Tuesday BYOP doubles league.  It is the most formally run league of the bunch.  I put a lot of effort into making this league as positive an experience for everyone as possible.  I get great feedback and turnouts.  The Spring Doubles League started up a couple of Tuesdays ago and it looks like my biggest turnout yet (84 participants).  It could be bigger but there is another BYOP league on the other side of town that also attracts a large following.  In all honesty, 84 is a good number.  It is managable with a rolling start and doesn't give me too big of a headache when all is said and done.  When Summer League rolls around I have a feeling that my numbers are going to apex 100 people and we will be using all of the available daylight.  If you need some resources (sign-up sheet templates, standings templates, etc.) feel free to PM me and we can exchange e-mail addresses and I can help you out a little further.  One important thing to remember is that experience will only make your league better, and you have to start somewhere.  

Wow ! A bring your own partner league ! Do most people bring the same partner week to week or switch it up ? I could see a handful of teams dominating
thanks that was very helpful

Reply to Mark:

I run 3 seperate BYOP doubles leagues per year - Spring, Summer, Fall.  They each run 8 weeks long and you stay with the same partner throughout.  After Week 4 (or more recently Week 5), I flight out the teams.  I seperate the field in to 3 or 4 flights.  This can be a bit tricky.  I don't necessarily just divide the field into equal numbers per flight.  There is always a bit of a judgement call that has to be made.  I try to seperate the field so that each flight has its own competitive battle going on from top to bottom.  The top flight is always an exception because, yes, there can be a team or 2 that just kills the course on a weekly basis.  However, there has not been a dynasty in quite some time.  A different team seems to step up each league.  I would say there are at least 6-8 perennial teams that can win any given league session, so the competition is pretty fierce.  The last dynasty was Nikko, before he went on tour.  He always brought in a different partner for each league and he always won.

One important thing that I do for everyone that does not cash/prize out is provide them with a $10 prize voucher.  The local club helps me underwrite this a bit so I don't have to squueze the payouts too much.  That way everyone gets to walk away with a little something.  Also, if anyone getting involved in my leagues is looking to win a ton of cash, that just isn't going to happen.  The payouts are nice, but more importantly the leagues are all about having fun and enjoying some competition.

discgolfscene.com rocks for leagues
I mainly run two nights of Doubles except for the first Monday of the month which is Singles (A Pool and B Pool). If there are a lot of people I prefer to draw cards for partners. No strokes are given unless two B poolers are paired together or a B pooler gets Cali. If you draw cards you have to make sure that people equal cards before you draw. Tonight we just flipped discs because there weren't too many people. Start time for league is two hours before sunset (which you can find at timeanddate.com).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968