www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I have been contemplating being a pro at this day and age in the PDGA era, and I have come to some conclusions. 

1. We make absolutly no money to support ourselves as the pro payouts are generally terrible. 

2. Unless you tour to hit the 'big' events, don't quit your day job. 

Why is this? Why is ball golf supporting so many pros and disc golf is not? I have heard the no corporate sponsors bit and agree, but why is this sport so cheap for pros? 

What do you think about making the sport cheap for ams and casuals but somehow upping the ante for professionals. Start pay to play at some of the better courses and increasing entry fees substantially at tournaments. If you want to pay 40 bucks to play a tourney, play am, have fun goofing around and make open pro more serious. 

What does everyone think?

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say that if your not on the level of a Climo , Lacstro , Jenkins , Doss etc. then trying to make a living being a Touring Pro is not the best idea unless however you are financially stable (NEFA's Pete Johnson comes too mind) The statement "there just isn't enough money for me too take that big a chunk of time out of my life" makes me want to say " then don't play ! We play for the enjoyment and the love of the game , not to mention the comraderie and the competition. My suggestion get a good job and you'll enjoy DG much more.

I dont think youd get a TON of money or sponserships doing it, but i think it would be really cool to see a PRO/AM full of very popular celebrities like Travis Pastrana or Shaun White!

I just dont see many celebrities dropping what they are doing to play a round of disc golf, because disc golfers want to see them play. It would have to be to benefit something like Breast cancer, or something people are really into.

Thats a great Idea Cincy, pair the event up with a cause. We have ball golf events locally all the time that the proceeds go to help non-profs in the area. Think Bigger........
good idea    set it up  would you
I will start by saying I love disc golf, everything about it but if you're in it for money you're going to be sadly disappointed! Why can't you play it for the love of the game and if you make some side money here and there, great a bonus.
Hey I do love disc golf, a serious amount. It is a great challenge, outside time, and good competition. In order for someone like me to compete at a professional level it takes serious time. I put in about 15-20 hours a week into my game, putting, playing at the course, driving to the course. It is not free to spend that much time on a sport. Again, its different at this level.

First off complaining about not making enough money to live off and how much time you have to put into your game is obsurd! If you were as talented as Climo, Doss, Jenkins, E-mac, Locastro or Schultz then you would be at super tour events, sponsored, traveling the world and making enough money. If you also payed attention to the PDGA then you would know that they plan on seperating the sports elite from the rest of us so that these guys can take disc golf to the next level yet keep the amatuer happy with local clubs, leagues, tourneys and schwag.  

I think that disc golf will eventually have higher payout and more coverage. But it will take time, think about how long ball golf has been around. Give the PDGA that kind of time window and this discussion is a little less.

If you want big events with high payouts, then that means they will need to be just that, events. Spectator friendly, include other disc sports, side games, etc... I applaud vibram's open and the japan open.
Obtaining large sponsorship would mean making td'ing a worth while adventure.
I don't think live coverage is financially profitable so we must rely on spectatorship, problem is that dg's biggest fans are players, and pros aren't looking for swag and discs, and the ams are hoping to win something...
Here is the only bummer I have Incured during my time as Pro.  I had to pay Income Taxes on my winnings in the Past.

Did you deduct your clothing, food, lodging, expenses related to the sport?

Try doing taxes for a biz like mine? It's all worth it in the end.

You are a pioneer man!

you havent cashed out since 06' dude! Being a local open player is not the same as being a national touring pro!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968