www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

It was 95 degrees here today so I waited until 6 PM to play a few holes. When I got out to the course a few clouds had rolled in and it felt pretty nice on the course. I hooked up with a few friends for a few holes and I was super relaxed. I didn't try to crush anything but I had more distance. I was just relaxed and threw the disc gently with good technique and I finally birdied a hole that up until today I had not birdied.

Just goes to show that smooth technique will get you distance. I've been trying to crush a Katana lately, but now I realize that "crush" shots have their place, but you don't always need to do that in order to get distance. Go smooth!

Slow and steady wins the race. Smooth and steady gets the D.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too recently discovered this. I try to keep my eye on the target throughout, only to keep me from wanting to overpower it. Also i try to hold back my pull-through speed as long as possible and then speed it up right at the end. It always leaves me with a great feeling follow through and such a smooth consistant drive.
Like they say (Whoever they are that said it:) 20% Power and 80% technique. I always play/throw better. When I don't try to keep up with the big arms I tend to play with.
Well put. I'm not one of those big arms either. But getting that birdie sure felt good.
This is the biggest key to the minimal success i have. I found this out by playing a casual round in sandals with three discs and shooting -2 on a course i usually throw right around par with a full bag of discs. I now focus entirely on form, knowing that the distance will come through that. I play with guys that lift a heck of a lot more than i do, and i can now outdrive them. I couldnt agree with you more on this.
I am always having to remind myself of this truth. It usually comes right after teaching someone else how to throw. When I focus on technique I throw farther.
I was working on this during league yesterday and I noticed that it helped me on my accuracy big time and I noticed the disc did seem to go further without much effort.
I have seen this recently when i was throwing my sidewinder. I was throwing my nuke and katana hard and get really good distance but with my sidewinder i can throw smooth with a hyzer and it flips and glides out 360 almost effortlessly. If you try too hard to power it out there it flips instantly but keeping it smooth get good distance and improved my accuracy.
I do love the Sidewinder.
I recently have cut my bag in half and am focusing on using a Sidewinder, Valk, Monster, Rocs, and Aviar ONLY. I always tried throwing the big boys but I am benefiting greatly from the steps down and smooth throws.
Smooth is far for sure, I try to stay loose. I catch myself sometimes when I have a terrible shot, Im like damn........I tried to throw it to hard! Its simple, my biggest flaw is trying to murder my drive sometimes but I always catch it so on the next hole I can slow down, keep it smooth and watch er sail!
Slow down your run up and release with good snap !!!
how do you keep your discs from falling out now that you have cut your bag in half?

oh I love being a bit of a blonde!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968