www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

It was 95 degrees here today so I waited until 6 PM to play a few holes. When I got out to the course a few clouds had rolled in and it felt pretty nice on the course. I hooked up with a few friends for a few holes and I was super relaxed. I didn't try to crush anything but I had more distance. I was just relaxed and threw the disc gently with good technique and I finally birdied a hole that up until today I had not birdied.

Just goes to show that smooth technique will get you distance. I've been trying to crush a Katana lately, but now I realize that "crush" shots have their place, but you don't always need to do that in order to get distance. Go smooth!

Slow and steady wins the race. Smooth and steady gets the D.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

use a three -four X step walk up,plant and release with a snap.Smooth release with distance.RHBH throw leading off with your left foot with back towards basket,right foot-left foot cross -plant your right foot -snap release.
This is very helpful! I just recently started throwing RHBH from RHFH! I have been having trouble throwing the BH I now think do to over powering the disc. Since starting BH my FH went all screwy too. I am trying to hard cause I am going to start playing in a league next week for the first time. I had been just playing with friends but, wanted to amp up the competition. I will relax take one shot at a time and have a short memory of the bad shots.
Good attitude!
I changed from forehand to backhand last year after aggravating a childhood elbow injury for the umpteenth time. The two things I have found are: 1) with practice, I have a lot more control than I ever did forehand; 2) I seem to get consistently more distance than I did with the forehand (don't ask me why). Plus, I played in a tournament last weekend and felt no pain in my arm at all, just a little stiffness afterwards on the following Monday.

The thing I find is that I, like you, want to make a huge gain in a very short amount of time, so I rush shots, over throw, etc. One major key to my changeover is that I started watching the Discraft Clinic videos again. Like Mark Ellis said in one video about long distance drives, I have watched the pros on the videos enough that I have begun to emulate their forms and finishes to a degree. But, most of all, the biggest thing is practice. I have gained more distance in the last year throwing RHBH than I did in any of the 6 or 7 years previous throwing RHFH. But, again, it comes down to practice. Slow, smooth approaches at the tee do yield much more consistency both in distance and control, and the only way to do it consistently is to practice practice practice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968