www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was just curious to know what people thought about being able to throw RH and LH.  This being opposed to throwing just LH or RH and learning sidearm to get opposite spin.

You think it would take to much time to learn relative to just learning how to throw side arm?  I understand that this process will be different for some people as some are already ambidextrous or have mild ambidextrous tendencies.

I heard a rumor that some of the big companies pay the money for their sponsored folks to learn how to throw from the other side of their body.  Just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

Tags: ambidextrous, left-handed, right-handed

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I threw Lefty for a month after an injury to my right hand. It's harder than it looks. Your footwork is opposite so that throws you off bigtime. I had a hard time throwing an anhyzer lefty without a total griplock/roller. Also, for some reason, I couldn't throw a putt flat or nose down to save my life.

Phil Arthur throws over 400' lefty or righty which is just silly. Garrett Gurthie can do the same thing.
i throw with my left hand, but i like to drive both backhand and forehand. with that option i can(given the shot works out accordingly) to have the motion of each hand being thrown. but if it you have that in your arsenal, more power to you.
It's really hard for me as I'm not very ambidextrous, but I've guys that could pick it up with a little practice. Throw with your off-hand for an afternoon and you should be able to get an idea about whether it's worth the effort.
I played the last six weeks of the season last year LHBH because of a hand injury. I found I had to use slower footwork to start because I had no muscle memory for that direction. By the end of the six weeks I was throwing a teebird nearly 300' (inconsistent directionally), and was starting to park some normal forehand holes routinely with LHBH approach shots. Overall, it was a pretty good experience, and I'm pretty sure my LH form was actually better then my RH form because I didn't start with bad mechanics, I got to build my shots the way Feldberg shows on the Fundamentals video. Even with all the positives, when I had the opportunity to start throwing RH again, I did so immediately and haven't gone back. Maybe someday.
I throw RHBH about 380' consistently and 300' consistently LHBH. I think it's a fantastic option to have for different landing angles and wind conditions. Of course you can get the same thing out of a forehand. The thing I've found though is that it's easier to control speed and angles with a backhand shot. It's a simpler throwing motion and less chance for error. Some guys are so good forehand that it doesn't really matter much. But note how many forehand dominant pros there are at the top. Not many. Ellis is a shining exception to this rule.

That said, if you're going to throw off-handed backhand, you still need a forehand throw in your arsenal. Why? If you play on wooded courses you know the answer to this question. There are plenty of times when you can't run up and you can't even take a swing without breaking your hand. That's when it's great to be able to just twist your body and flick your wrist to get out of a trouble spot. As ultimate players know you can step out a long way with a forehand and still get a crisp flick of the wrist.

So, I guess if you've got the time I'd recommend backhand with both hands and a forehand shot with one of your hands. I think forehanding both sides wouldn't be worth the time, but a time may arise when you need a lefty forehand to get out of trouble. I throw short flick rollers with both hands very well and that has been a great weapon at times.

If you're short of time (like I am) I guess I would recommend backhand and forehand with your dominant hand over learning backhand with both hands so you have the right and left turn covered and your flick escape shot.
I threw forehand dominant for years, just this year taught myself to throw backhand, I get more distance backhand, but I have much more control forehand. I've given the idea of learning both shots with my left hand some serious consideration, but the few times I've tried it it feels weird. the mechanic's are all backwards and I feel like I'm going to trip over my feet. If you can master it, I say more power to ya, you can never have enough tricks in the bag.
If you (as a righty) want to throw lefty you just have to think of everything in a mirrored fashion. When you think it through that way it becomes a little bit easier to understand. I did it once and got decent distance. However, I never played an entire round lefty.
When I was teaching myself how to throw lefty, I found it helpful that I've taught so many people how to play disc golf. I thought of myself as a complete beginner who would have to throw lighter, understable plastic and build up to a full speed throw slowly. I didn't get frustrated because I didn't set unrealistic expectations for myself. Just smooth and controlled and the distance did start to come and I imagine if I kept it up I'd be throwing just as far either hand. It is nice to work on something new when you've hit a plateau in distance with your strong hand.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm