www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Today was the fist time that I actually threw in the cold.  My weekly group starts at 7 am every Sunday.  it was about 30 outside and there was frost on the ground.  I took some advice I have seen here and on other sites for throwing in the cold. I got a good breakfast, stretched, warmed up and practiced my putting.  My hands were numb before anyone else showed up.  It was a rough day and discs definetely change their flight pattern at these temps. I never actually got my throws to go where I wanted them.  About 75 percent of the people that I play with have put their discs away for the year already.  I however will continue to play as long as there is not a couple of feet of snow on the course.  Who else will be throwing frozen discs in the upcoming months.

Tags: Frozen, Snow, cold, winter

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Start at 11 AM like we do and you won't have to thaw out. I am thankfully sleeping at 7 AM on Sunday.
I wish I voted to start later but I was the only one everyone else said they wanted to continue playing at 7 even through the winter. They have been doing it this way for a decade or so
I’ve been playing and practicing in freezing temperatures for a few weeks now. Like you as soon as cold started to affect my game I started a discussion on this site. I got some good suggestions for copping with cold.
There are a couple things I’ve notice since then that may help your game. The cold seems to affect DX plastic more then Champion or Star. Keep your disc warm until you play, this should help on the first few holes. Also, a jacket with large inside pockets is a good way keep your primary putter and driver warm when not in use.
My circulation slows down in the winter and I don't throw well with cement hands. If it is that cold I will throw with my fleece gloves on. But if it's really cold I will be home eating French Toast.

It may be best to play with a few disc that seem to do OK. That and use hand warmers. But I pretty much take the winter off. Just for comparison it was probably 50 degrees here today.
In what way does the cold effect the disc? I already forgot from last winter.
There are a thousand tricks to playing in the winter. Learn them and winter golf will be very fun. 30 degrees may feel cold now but as you get acclimated it will become perfectly comfortable.

Cold and lack of grip (both with your hands and feet) are the problems of winter. Are those two really worse than heat, humidity, bugs, poison ivy and courses overflowing with casuals? Not in my book. I will take February over August quite happily. But even if you never get to the point where you prefer winter golf, why allow the elements to take your hobby away from you? Do you give up sex and beer for 4 months?

Layers, Mittens, Handwarmers, Neck Gaiters, Ice Cleats, Polar Tech, Gortex Shoes/Socks. This little list will resolve most the of the issues with winter. Very few good players take the winter off. Why do you think they are good?
I don't take the winter off, and I'm not even kinda good. winter golf is a blast, and it does cut down on the casuals. Best advice I was given was take all of the white discs out of the bag.
I play all winter in Michigan and although there is some difference in the flight, it's my opinion that a good shot is still most dependent on the grip and snap. And it's certainly a fact that grip and snap is affected by frosty hands, but I always have great shots mixed in with my normal mediocre game. And when spring arrives, it ALWAYS seems that I've added distance and accuracy from the winter schedule. Winter really is my favorite time to work out new shots, strategies and discs. One factor playing into the mix is that I always tape ribbons to all of my disc whenever there is more than an inch or so of snow, so undoubtedly the ribbon takes a little zip and distance away but it surely saves time when finding the illusive, snow covered drives.
..... played yesterday in 4" of snow and even though there was lots of vegetation higher than that,
... discs buried ..... only having a 5' length of 1/4" purple ribbon duct taped to the absolute middle of the back of my disc did I prevent losing a disc ...... the other 4'some were losing discs left right and centre .... when we crossed paths they were begging for ribbon and tape ...... it was a long round and i did a header once but other than that all was good .... it's pouring down snow right now .... supposed to go out in an hour.
do you put the ribbon on top or on the underside? how much does that affect flight?
I put it on the top. Doesn't really change flight at all (compared to the change that happens from the weather already). It has save me from loosing dozens of discs.
Now that thinking outside the box. Great tip!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968