www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

From what i have heard people suggest a more over stable disc for a thumber/tomahawk throw. I seem to get my most accurate tomahawks with a less stable disc like a champion sidewinder. What is everyone's suggestions for this type of throw in both disc and weight.

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I throw Z Flick's and an ESP Venom.  I love throwing the thumber for it's accuracy and of course those tricky situations.  The weight doesn't get me as much.  I throw a 174g Flick and a 150g Flick and get close to the same result.  It's more about the stability for me.
To get some really good distance you need an overstable disc with a lot of snap.  I throw a Flick or XXX for my thumber.  I am not able to get as much snap on my tomahawks so I throw a tracker.

Overstable discs take longer to complete flight and make a larger barrel role type flight. Sometimes you want something understable as it'll flip quicker. It depends on the distance and ceiling space I have as to whether I’ll throw something over or understable. Max distance potential is going to come from an overstable disc. As far as the accuracy is concerned, it is just practice as it is a different flight path so the line you have to choose is going to be different.

I don't throw tomahawk, but used to exclusively throw thumbers...  If you are after more distance try a Star or Champion Firebird, Monster, flat Teebird, Z Flick, XXX.  In order to shorten the throws, if the line allows it, drop the angle to more of a 3/4th arm slot which will speed up the turn.
153g Gummy flat top Teebird. Shoulder cuff won't allow a heavier weight after many years of pitching. I get more snap and a predictable flight throwing the thumber. I can throw the tommy, but I will regret it once I start filling the ice pack.
I have found weight to be a personal preference, as differences in distance are minimal.  The only difference being the lighter the disc, the more it will be effected by wind.
Firebirds always for thumbers. Heavier champs for control. Heavier star for control but less chance of standing up and rolling. Lighter champs or stars for open distance.

nice

Montty, what weights are talking here?  I agree with heavier star for control (personally have 2 thumber aces with star firebirds) and you are right about the Firebird being the best Thumber disc by far.  I am just curious what distances you are getting with what weights?

I found I get more distance with a Z-Flick but control goes out the window for what its worth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968