www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

ok i have been playing for roughly around 3 weeks with some friends that have been playing for a while now, just bought my first disc a few days ago it's a innova champion viking tried it out last night at cold brook did ok. i throw rhbh since thumbers started destroying my shoulder and elbow. my problem is most the time i throw it curves to the left almost immediately, my friends say i need to release the disc flat before i can move on to learning other stuff, also i dont seem to be getting enough spin on the disc which i think is caused from not snapping my wrist enough. i've tried gripping with 4 fingers that worked ok but i was thinking that i may get a better drive if i gripped it with my pinky,ring, and middle finger.

are there any other tips that i can try to get a better drive?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Something that helped me was trying to force the disc to turn right or anhizer on my drives, for some reason it made me release the disc very flat which is what sounds like is your problem. Also make sure your not throwing to high in the air you will lose alot of distence that way. Finally remimber when disc slow down with your throwing stlye its natural for them to hyzer or turn left. Good luck and keep trowing it will all come to you before too long
The biggest tip anyone can give you and I wish someone had given me, is leave the highspeed stuff alone until you throw far enough to warrant them.

Throw your putters and mids until you can push them out to 250 or 300. Honestly if you are at less than 250 feet of power a Destroyer won't go any further than a roc. And at least the Roc will go straight. Throwing mids and putters will 100% absolutely improve your control, it will show you form flaws. Just correcting little flaws will improve your distance eventually more than anything, and it will improve control.

And really, what is distance without control. A bogey..

Once you have some mastery of a midrange, move up to a leopard, XL, Assassin, TL, or some other moderately stable fairway driver. With those or mids, you'll be able to shape shots where with a destroyer, Viking, wraith type higher speed driver you'll be hooking left until your distance catches up with the discs intended purpose. Hooking left because the disc just goes there is not a hyzer shot either, but it can be useful. But you should be able to throw hzer if needed with just about anydisc within reason for your distance.

If you find yourself struggling in the beginning throwing the understable stuff and you have the potential to lose discs on a wooded course for instance I highly suggest practicing in an open field until you feel confident with the less stable plastic. It makes for faster improvement anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968