www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i see alot of people jump putting. i just starting this year. how does everyone else putt outside the circle.

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No Jump putting here.....no need too. If I'm outside my range for a putting stance...I go backhand with a nice balanced stance....focusing on the throw, not the throw and "Jump".
I have enough power.

I have always had good technique and never needed to ever Jump putt.

However ,

I still see to this day , some players illegal jump putting inside the circle.
it is called a jump putt. and i was asking whats everyone thought about jump putting. i am sure we all know the rules to a jump putt. and you have to call the foot fault within 3 sec of the violation.
I think he was comenting on a previous thread?
THe thing about jump putt to step up putting is, in a jump put you can replicate a shorter putt's disc travel and landing either in the basket or close. with a walk up unless it goes in or if it hits off the top you can have quite a bit of work yet to do on said hole. Raise your hand if you have ever turned a duece putt into a bogey god knows I sure have! If by throwing accurately from 100' you can lay it up then it is not a putt; if you can put it in even 3/10 your a god. Jump putts for me are bout 50-70' otherwise i'm laying up,if you zing it from that far out and miss see above.
If it feels good then do it. If not don't. I personally don't use it but I know many people who are successful with it.
I never jump, might take a step forward outside the circle but I never jump.
Calling it a jump putt leads to confusion because of a basketball term most people know.
In basketball a jump shot is just as it is named, you jump, then you shoot while you are off the ground.
In disc golf it is called a jump putt, but you are not allowed to jump, then putt...you actually have to putt before you jump, you are not allowed to be off the ground with the disc still in hand.
So a better name for it would be a putt jump, to avoid the confusion.
When you come up off the ground and the disc is still in your hand, do not be surprised if you hear a call...
Just trying to help those people who want to work on proper form and avoid rules issues during tournaments.
I felt it was necessary to elaborate because of what I see on the disc golf course...Jordan putting has become acceptable during casual rounds and becomes an issue during a tournament.
To answer your question for the discussion, No jump putt is necessary. Long putts can be made with proper form and no lunge is needed.
I recommend it. The reason is simple. When you're putting, everything moves in a line. It's tough to get off line with that. When you're 100 ft out and you have an angled landing zone, it's critical to get the right disc angle and landing spot. If you throw at it you have a chance at an early release or late release. Jump putting virtually eliminates this issue. So having a jump putt won't just allow you to make more 40-70 footers, it's a great 'lay-up'/approach tool as well. That said, you can't get sloppy (ie not practicing) with your true approach throws, but if I have a choice, I'll jump it rather than throw it.
I use the jump putt, and i feel like i get more power, distance and accuracy...but thats me
I use jump putts for over 100ft, 100-30ft i rock back and forth toe to heel, and inside of 30ft, i straddle putt.
jump putts build my confidence for example it feels so much better to me when i make a jump putt vs. a regular putt!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968