www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

would like to know how many people out there will lay up in front of a basket just to make sure they don’t have a large come back put.

Myself during casual Saturday Play I always 100% of the time I will go for the basket no matter how far out it is, but during tournaments I sometimes find myself laying up. I only ask as one of the guys I play with is happy to lay up on all occasions

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Risk, reward, says it all. If it does not make it to the basket, it never had a chance
i go for, if i miss ill make the putt 99% of the time.
Mark,

I am going to get a couple of Rattlers to work on this technique. Would you reccomend using weight that is similar to my normal putters or going a bit lighter? I normally use putters in the 172-5 range.

Thanks,
Brian

mark ellis said:
And the answer to the question is: (at least for me) throw a Rattler on a slight air bounce. Nothing floats, hovers and drops like a Rattler, unless you have an exceptionally beat up putter. But why wait a decade for your putter to get properly seasoned? A new Rattler will do the same thing.

With the right disc and lots of practice it is possible to give most short upshots a chance to go in without blowing way past.
I almost always jump putt outside of the circle up to about 90 ft. Even it I miss, I'm almost never going to be more than 15 feet away, 20 at most, 25 with a rollaway and I can hit all of those putts. I think that's the big freeing factor. I started drilling my 15-20 footers so I have little fear of running a longer putt. I don't often run shots outside of 100 ft unless I have a hill behind the basket. I guess I'll go for the hyzer run sometimes outside of that if it's a wide open hole.

If it's windy though (on our course that means 20 mph winds), I lay up outside of 50 ft...still with the jump putt.
Hey Brian,

My preference in weights for Rattlers is the 170-172 gram range. I would even prefer the 167-169 range to max weight (173-175). Rattlers are stamped in ranges nowadays rather than individual weights.

A Rattler is a touch disc, not a power disc. It is meant to float and hover and seems to do that better below max weight.

Rattlers are not all-purpose discs. They do a specific job and do it better than any other disc I know but they have limits. There are two rules for throwing Rattlers you should not break until you have mastered them. 1) Do not throw Rattlers hard. They will not fly far even if you crank on them and you should not try. Throw Rattlers smooth and clean. You don't force a Rattler to do anything. You charm it. 2) Do not throw Rattlers into a strong wind. As you start learning them don't throw them into even a medium headwind. It will take time and practice to learn to negotiate the winds.

The easiest and fastest way to learn a Rattler is play catch with it. It will be hard to control at first but do not be discouraged. The touch you will develop will be exceptionally useful. Learn it forehand and backhand, straight, hyzer and anhyzer. Especially learn to throw it dead nuts flat so that it hovers then drops straight down.

BTW, you can also putt with Rattlers. For most straddle, anhyzer and low ceiling putts I use Rattlers.

Rattlers are my favorite disc.

!@#$%^&*()_(*&^%!@#$%^&*()_^%@#$%^&*()(*&%$#$%^&*(#$%^&*(*&^%^&*

up_a_tree_B said:
Mark,
I am going to get a couple of Rattlers to work on this technique. Would you reccomend using weight that is similar to my normal putters or going a bit lighter? I normally use putters in the 172-5 range. Thanks, Brian

Is this code the secret to putting?????? I understand now

LOL
I think floating a putt in from outside 10m is a good way of doing it, but I haven't developed it enough to be confident yet. I spose its kinda a mix of a layup and going for it, you're still giving yourself a chance for it to go in while almost guaranteeing a gimme if it doesnt go in the first time.

Would be very handy to be able to throw it consistently.
I will go for it if playing a round for fun. If playing in an event i will go for it inside 50ft. Outside of that i will take a good approach that if i hit the right angle will fall into the chains but if it misses will lay down within 15 feet of the basket. But mostly i think if its a close round and you have a chance to take the lead its better GO BIG OR GO HOME!
i have recently disciplined myself to put on this strict rule...inside of 20 feet, straight at the basket with a slight hyzer with a flex challenger. 20 to 50 feet, slight anhyzer putt to flatten out to hyzer with my star aviar. by the way, i go for it within 50'. i have developed my putt that it usually doesn't fly more than 20' past basket. downhill or near water hazard i will lay it up outside of 25'. outside of 50' i will sidearm with a dependable midrange or just layup.
Mike Inscho said:

LOL

Have you been watching the movie "[the math symbol for 3.14...]" lately? Grrr...so frustrated that that symbol isn't on my keyboard. My wife with math degree feels my pain, or I'm feeling her pain. Regardless, I was trying to make a short and witty post and now it's all to rubble. I'm so sorry Mike and Mark.
Mike Inscho said:

LOL

Okay, one more stab at this:

Wouldn't it be great if you could learn putting like in the Matrix, when Neo gets plugged in, experiences some pain and then snaps out of it to deliver the famous line, "I know Kung Fu."?

I wish I woke up tomorrow and said, "I know putting. And Kung Fu. In fact, I know "Kung Fu Putting...so don't mess with me." My wife would probably call the police though if I uttered that monologue at 6am.
I always try to go for it what do you have to lose

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968