www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

would like to know how many people out there will lay up in front of a basket just to make sure they don’t have a large come back put.

Myself during casual Saturday Play I always 100% of the time I will go for the basket no matter how far out it is, but during tournaments I sometimes find myself laying up. I only ask as one of the guys I play with is happy to lay up on all occasions

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Always Go for it !!!!! It's more Exciting !!!!
When your shot accomplishes both then it is $$ time. My game improved so much after I started giving my putt outside 50ft a chance to go in but little chance of flying too far away from the basket for a long return putt. But, I hear you, on a casual round at say Brahan Springs, I'm running at the baskets.
When it's casual or for the last 5 holes worth of skins I'm running it. That is, as long as there is someone else to push the hole if I blow by it.
casual and skins i run at everything, even with water behind. in a tourney when it matters (top two cards) i'll lay up for the easy three, not the hard three. third card and below, i'm running it again.
i always try to lay up if i dont think i can make it but if i am puttin like crazy or need in then ill go for it other than that it is always better to get par than to get bogey!
You can throw a lay up that has a chance of going in every time, it's just a matter of throwing the right shot.
It depends on the shot I have at the basket and how close. If I'm with in 50 ft, I'll try for it. If not, I'll lay up for an easy putt!
I try to look at Risk vs. Reward. If the basket has a barrier behind it, like a hill, fence or foliage that will stop the disc, then I give it a shot. If it has a drop off, OB, etc. I give it a half-hearted attempt that will land close if it doesn't go in. If the terrain is flat and open, behind the basket, from a long putting distance, I will throw what I call my elevator putt. The putter has a slight negative to positive angle, and I throw it straight at the basket, but high in the air, with it maxing out at about 10-15ft high. When it gets to the basket, the disc is basically falling straight down, so if it misses, it hits the ground with a "whoomp", and usually stays close to where it hits.

If the distance is too far to putt, I will throw a floating shot with an Aero with a little bit of hyzer, aiming to the side of the basket with the thought that the disc will stall out and hyzer into the basket.
And the answer to the question is: (at least for me) throw a Rattler on a slight air bounce. Nothing floats, hovers and drops like a Rattler, unless you have an exceptionally beat up putter. But why wait a decade for your putter to get properly seasoned? A new Rattler will do the same thing.

With the right disc and lots of practice it is possible to give most short upshots a chance to go in without blowing way past.
Depends on the situation, good weather conditions I always go for it, I use the same technique as Mark, but with another disc. Very windy, well I go more on safety, low shots.
Laying up all the time is weak and doesn't show any putting confidence.

Laying up is smart, when it's necessary.

Throwing a Rattler ... not going to happen. Just yanking your chain Mark. ;)
Always Go for it !!!!! It's more Exciting !!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968