www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I began playing disc golf shortly after my baseball career ended. Naturally, I learned the tomahawk shot quickly. I usually use a DX Banshee or a Champion Orc for my tomahawk shots. What does everyone else use for this very useful shot?

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I came from playing tournament Softball and found the Thumber rather then the Tomahawk to be as natural as throwing the ball in from the outfield. I started throwing the CE firebird. I found it to turn slow enough to get about 300 feet. I then found the Z Avenger to actually give me about another 25'. Over time I learned some discs turn quicker and can be used for shorter more technical shots. The Valkyrie and Flick will turn at about 150-175 feet while the Leopard I can get it to turn at about 75-100 feet. I also like the champion T-Bird for long shots with out as much turn as the Firebird.

If you haven't tried the Thumber yet, I recommend aiming about 25-30 degrees left of of your target. ( right handed throwers )

Good luck
I throw the thumber exclusively. I thought tomahawk and thumber are the the same thing. I am still becoming familiar with the lingo!
If your new to the sport I would recommend keeping it simple, pick one disc and become an expert at it before testing others. I learned on the Firebird. Most consistant and resistant to the wind.

Good luck out there.
I like the disc is unique to the thrower. I throw both the thumber and tomahawk pending on the situation I'm in. They do the same flight pattern just in mirror image. as far as the disc goes, I use a pro wrath. Course I've been using that disc only for those type of throws so I know the pattern of the flight and the approx distance the throw should get if unaltered. I'm sure others will agree to test and test some more till you find the right disc for the job.
Destroyer and or XCaliber. Thats what I use.
Well a thumber will naturally turn faster than a tomahawk. Obviously, the angle and snap of release will also effect the speed of the flip. I threw nothing but thumbers, tomakawk, and standing sidearm shots for a little over a year due to a ankle injury, so I have become deadly accurate. Keep in mind the best distance will be achieved at around a 12:00 release angle. I use Discraft for my overhand shots, X Talon for short range getting out of trouble very fast flip, stops quickly once it lands. Z Wildcat will fly very similiar to the X Talon. For a longer midrange shot 200-300', ESP Pulse works great. 300-400' I use the Z Talon. The Z Talon turns very slow but will fly ridiculously far, also works great for skip thumbers and tomahawks. I have found that the plastic type can have a big effect on how fast the disc flips, as mentioned above the X Talon flips very quickly, the Z Talon flips very slowly. Here is a link to a club on here dedicated to us overhead chuckers.

http://discgolfer.ning.com/group/overheadchuckers
Champion monster at 12:00 angle, it lands right where you pointed at depending on wind situation...
A 172 star excaliber for both thumbers and tomahawks,I recently bought an arobie epic which I will be experimenting with to see if I can munipulate the flip through tuneing it differently.There is a good thread on here for the epic on about page 6 or 7,plenty of videos also,worth alook if your into overhands.
I use a Blast DT or Spirit.
Just be sure not to make the mistake most people do with this disc and over-tune it to the point it is not even worth throwing. I have one that I will throw for fun occasionaly, they go far with small tweaks. At first don't tune it at all, just throw it and see how it flies.

Sappydisc said:
A 172 star excaliber for both thumbers and tomahawks,I recently bought an arobie epic which I will be experimenting with to see if I can munipulate the flip through tuneing it differently.There is a good thread on here for the epic on about page 6 or 7,plenty of videos also,worth alook if your into overhands.
1st run 150 flick, or a Monster
a star monster in the 170-175 range. Does what it needs to without "over-flipping"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968