www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I went out to play today and I just threw about 12 holes because that was all the time that I had to play. I played with a younger guy (about 17 I think). I will turn 50 this year. My question is whether you think that a lot of players carry too many discs. I remember playing in a tournament during the summer and I just got tired. After that I vowed to simplify my game and carry fewer discs. I now carry a max of nine discs which run the gamut from understable to overstable. I have everything I need. The kid I played with today carried eighteen discs and I spanked him with my nine discs. My opinion is that you should keep things simple and the benefit is that your bag is easier to carry. This is only my opinion but it has worked for me. KISS...

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I prefer less discs to not impair the shot judgment...however it's good to have backups. Like Mark said you don't want to be out on the course during an event without back ups...Murphy's Law There!!! lmao!!!
I agree that it is each to his own.
I agree with the "keep some backups" philosophy". Especially during a tourney. I stopped playing tourneys a while back because of fatherhood responsibilities and money. That changes things a bit. Right now I really only carry backup of one disc, my Banshee. That is one of my main approach discs for its ability to bend around things. That said if I were to lose any of my other discs I would not be happy, but I would adapt. Backups are a definite.
Don't worry about how many disc other player carry. Take what works for you. I would add my vote for building yourself a disc golf cart. Being a few years ;-) older than you, I have found a cart to be a big help. Go over to the "Clubs" area. There is a Disc Golf Cart Club where you can get some ideas.
Here's a simple rule that is helping my game immensely:

"Don't carry more molds than you can practice with."

I guess this is just a revamping of the phrase, "Know your plastic."

This is a part of what goes on with practice, getting to know how each disc flies on a particular line (hyzer, straight, anhyzer, roller). You don't know a disc well enough if all you do is play rounds on the same courses and always throw the same lines with the same discs. This is why youhave to hit the practice field.

Feldberg can carry 40 discs because he plays disc golf for a living and logs hours upon hours of pracice and competition on all sorts of courses. I am willing to bet that he knows every disc he carries very well. He also has a tool-box of shots that is incredibly diverse and the skill to execute those particular shots.

Marcus Kallstrom is an example of an elite player that goes the other way and has a very simple bag set. So it's obvious you can be effective with that strategy as well.

Generally I'd say ams would do well to lighten the load of discs. I'm finding this to be true for me as I start out the season. My spring ritual is to spend a week or two only practicing with the putters (driving them I mean). Upshots are the core of your game. You've got to get up and down from anywhere, so I work those. Then I add the midranges, then the main drivers, then the specialty stuff.

When the season is in full swing I don't have a lot of time to practice. I have 3 very young children and I'm not alone in being very busy I'm sure. So for those of you with limited practice time, I'd say choose your essential discs in round and practice with those and keep your knowledge of them high and reach for them in the round. If you don't practice with a particular disc hardly at all, I'd consider taking it out. Especially if you have a disc that performs a similar role.
it is fun to take 1 or 2 discs out to a course sometimes. sure speeds up a game as well.
but every good mechanic knows he has to have the right tool for the job :)
Some people seem to think that because I turn 50 this year that I need a motorized cart or something. Not the case at all. Yesterday when the young kid got one stuck in the tree it was me who tried to climb the tree. I was also the one to get it out with a softball. I carry 9 discs by choice. It simplifies my game. Obviously not for everyone.
How about trying it the other way around. Play only with your drivers and then add in the mids and putters. Could be interesting. I still have a bet with a good local golfer for a driver only round. 20 bucks. We play three different courses. Just never got around to doing it. Maybe now is the time.
I would disagree, I use a total of 7 molds and it works great for me. If I needed to I could probably cut out 3 or 4 of the molds and do just as well on any given course. As long as I do not junk a disc in the water or loose something (which rarely happens nowdays) I would be happy throwing 7 discs total and shooting around where I normally do.
This kind of goes along with the plastic addiction thread. If you don't know how to use that circular saw, you better count your fingers. A bad driver in a Porsche is still a bad driver. Tools are good things if you know what to do with them. Each to his own, but I will stick with the simple, yet well understood approach.
After I go throw 18 holes and after dinner (evening meal) I will during the summer twilight (about an hour or so long) go and run a short 9 hole course with two discs.
Its personal preference. I carry about 14-18. I have a lot of the same disc and stable to beat.

I forehand 95% drives and about 50% upshots
Mids-
Comets X2
Gator
Drone
Pigx2
Buzz

Drivers
Teebird x2
surge
Eagle x2
Valk
Cheetah

Putters
Avair x2

So 16 there

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968