www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I went out to play today and I just threw about 12 holes because that was all the time that I had to play. I played with a younger guy (about 17 I think). I will turn 50 this year. My question is whether you think that a lot of players carry too many discs. I remember playing in a tournament during the summer and I just got tired. After that I vowed to simplify my game and carry fewer discs. I now carry a max of nine discs which run the gamut from understable to overstable. I have everything I need. The kid I played with today carried eighteen discs and I spanked him with my nine discs. My opinion is that you should keep things simple and the benefit is that your bag is easier to carry. This is only my opinion but it has worked for me. KISS...

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Dave Feldberg carries around 40. You should be able to spank him. If you play a good hard course you will need more than 9 discs to play the best that you can. There is a reason the best pros in the world carry more than 9 discs.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought most pros only carry a handful of molds, totaling 20 or so discs.
im not saying carry 40 discs. Im saying 9 is just not enough to do the job right.
I am definitely not comparing myself to Dave Feldberg as I don't even know who that is. I do play hard courses and that does not change my philosophy. I can throw backhand, forehand and some forehand rollers if necessary. I simply find that I throw one or two discs a lot and the rest when I need them. I can even adapt my throw for different discs. It is a philosophy. As I said this is my opinion but it works for me. I just think that sometimes we get wrapped up in having a lot of discs in the bag and you just might find that if you took half of them out of the bag that there would be no appreciable difference in your game. Today I threw 7 out of my nine discs and shot below par. My point is that I think that sometimes we rely on plastic and not the grey matter. More power to Feldberg if he does well with a bag full of 40 discs. Not for me though!
IMO, 9 or 10 discs is all you really need.
KISS works, but so does, to each his own. What works for me. Is that I want to be able to replicate the same throwing technique as many times as possible and let the disc do the work. So that requires more discs form my style. I also have some minor physical handicaps that will not allow me to throw a sidearm for any true distance....sooo add some more discs to the bag due to that. I must admit there is also a psychological aspect to it. I just feel more at ease on the course knowing I have every disc needed for any shot. Now I've read some posts were it is an issue to try and reduce the weight of the bag, but if you think about it. You are probably only talking about a reduction of only two to three pounds by taking several discs out. More power to you. I must admit, I wish I could live with the KISS rule when it comes to disc golf, but I'm more comfotable with more is better! lol!
I guess you don't throw an Innova Boss since Dave Feldberg has his name on it. I carry anywhere from 12-24 disc's at a time depending on the course and weather conditions. Strong winds and I throw completely different disc's. I live close to 10 courses that are not alike. So my bag changes dramatically. Also when I play at 500 feet elevation and decide to go play at 7500 feet elevation, the disc's don't fly the same. I have a seperate disc golf bag just for high elevation. Tournament play I take everything because you never know. If I play my home course I take 15 disc's because they change basket locations every week and there is to much variation to stick to just 9 disc's. I was in the military so the extra disc weight never bothers me. I do have multiples of the same disc in my bag, but some are more beat up and do different things for me. I throw primarily back hand and thumbers, plus backhand rollers. I rarely throw forehand.
You should carry what you need and no more! I wish I could get it done with 1.
try a cart, then you can have a cooler full of water, extra nutrition, extra towels, a 50 year old's necessary medicines and all the discs you need. This winter I put my bag in a little child's sled and WOW, what a difference not having to flip the bag on and off 100 times a round.
When the snow goes away, I'm going to revamp a Schwinn baby stroller for a VERY easy maneuverable cart. But I agree, for those of us that are not Champion Level tossers, a few disc that go where you want are better than a bunch that go off course. I throw 6 or 7 different discs and aside from the putter that I feel secure in not loosing, I carry 2 of all of my favorites, just in case I would ever loose a favorite mid tourney.
I think your right. Choices are not always a good thing. I carry around seven to nine discs depending on the wind. I know and understand these discs pretty well. I still love getting new plastic, but when shooting rounds it makes no sense for me to carry discs that sometimes work for me.
Depends on the course, I can play within 2-3 strokes of my average with just 1 disc, on any course, anytime. (Esp Cyclone)
I was not saying carry 40 discs because Feldberg does. I was giving an example of one of the best pros in the world. As I said before and you agree 9 discs just dont get the job done right.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968