www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I went out to play today and I just threw about 12 holes because that was all the time that I had to play. I played with a younger guy (about 17 I think). I will turn 50 this year. My question is whether you think that a lot of players carry too many discs. I remember playing in a tournament during the summer and I just got tired. After that I vowed to simplify my game and carry fewer discs. I now carry a max of nine discs which run the gamut from understable to overstable. I have everything I need. The kid I played with today carried eighteen discs and I spanked him with my nine discs. My opinion is that you should keep things simple and the benefit is that your bag is easier to carry. This is only my opinion but it has worked for me. KISS...

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, SORRY about that! I wan't trying to imply anything. I was speaking from personal experence. You had make a comment about the weight of your bag and I was responding to that. I had a total hip replacement and am doing all I can to help my other joints last and using a cart to carry my bag keeps the weight off my joints. Several of the pro use carts as well as many younger players.
I definetly agree if you can throw sidearm backhands overheads rollers and grenades. But unfortunetly i can only throw backhand and thumbers so most of need 10-20 discs but more power to ya if you can play at a high level with 9 discs.
You can if you have a buzzz!
I carry anywhere from 15 to 18 discs including my putters when I play. When I go to tournaments I carry a small duffel bag with extra back up discs and arrange my bag according to the course I am going to play. So I have 20-25 discs with me in the car. I know every disc in the bag and have a use for each one depending on the course. I usually Trim down my bag before I play the round. I use an "old fart cart" if the course terrain allows. I always practice with new plastic at a field or during casual rounds and beat it in and decide if it works for me before it makes the line up.

I like to have discs that I am very used to to replace a lost disc (knock on wood) during an event. So usually I have two of the same mold in my favorite category. For me, having two putters, two mids and two drivers that are basically identical is good planning for an event. The down side is that you have to carry it if you want to throw it during the round. So if I took those discs out I could slim down my bag by 6-8 discs and carry only 9 to 15 discs. I have seen people lose their only putter during a tournament and totally lose their game and their score! It has happened to me but I had my other putter with me and just kept on playing. My putter was found in the pond I threw it in later that moring and I got it back for the second round......

My current disc line up includes the following:

Putter/Approach
(2) Star Aviars
(1) R-pro Aviar
(1) Elite Challenger

Mids
(2) limited ed. crystal z buzzz's
(2) ace race meteor
(1) San Marino Star Roc
(1) Ontario Star Roc
(1) Z Glide
(2) Squall

Drivers
(1) Star Beast
(1) Champ Road Runner
(2) Star Orc
(2) 1st run Champ Boss
(1) Star Boss
(1) 1st run Champ Groove
(1) CFR Star Katana
(1) CFR Champ Katana
(1) 1st run Star Excalibur
(1) Star Monarch
(1) Champion Sidewinder
I went by cottonwood to drop off some gift cards for my store and met someone who wanted to play. I only had 2 disc, Z Flash & a star spider. I don't throw a Flash as it's too stable for me. I shot my handicap with no problem. As long as you know what the disc will do you can play an average game. If I'm playing for tags I might want my XL for sidearms and my gold avair. I have a bag loaded with "special disc" for tournaments but only need 9 or 10 disc. 2 disc are backups in case I lose a putter. Then there is the extreme discraft memorial in Arizona where I lost every disc except a putter and a mid which became my driver. (too many water hazards)
Falcon Course is open. Come on out. Driving range loaded with over 100 drivers. No Charge! 244-1934
Beat DiscZilla on his own course and win a Golf bag. Birdie 3 holes in a row and win any disc from our warehouse
Where is your course?
haha don't we all?
Low number of different molds is important. Number of actual discs isn't so much. I carry 20 discs but I have 5 of my main driver, 2 different mold fairway drivers (2 of one, 3 of the other), 3 of the same mid and a couple putters. The other 5 discs I never really throw but it doesn't kill me to have them in the bag (2 bosses, 2 starfires and a firebird)

Some of it's having the same disc in different stages of wear, some of it is just having backups. I do use the same bag for rounds and field practice. Now and again I do play my home course with just a Shark and shoot close to my normal full bag score so alot of discs can be unnecessary. If you're getting tired due to the weight of your bag, yeah, lighten it up (or get some quads, they make a world of difference)
This is what I do. Replicate the exact same throw on almost every shot. Let the disc do the work for you. I keeps me more consistent. I understand the using less disc. I have thought about it. But then when the round matters and I don't have that disc that I only needed for that one shot......i take a 5 on the hole. So it goes back to...to each his own and how you throw. The TRUE bulk of weight really comes from carrying around water with you. I bet my water bottles almost weigh 3/4 of what all of my disc do. This is why the make nice straps and stools. You save energy any way possible.
actually a lot of the guys at my course have said the cart has been wearing them out. Whether it's them pushing it or pulling it. A couple have complained about shoulder pain...and 2 of them in their 60's have gone back to the bags. I think the baby rollers work best if you were to go with something. All because of the big wheels. The converted golf carts have small wheels a lot of times and don't go smoothly over all of the roots we encounter in the woods. WHich is why I think it's hurting these guys. COnstantly pulling over roots...
my bag has 20 discs. two avairs for putting, four rocs, four wraiths, three destroyers, and 7 other various discs, with different purposes. so i guess you could say i only carry 11 molds?
Is there even a bag that carries forty discs?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968