www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

My Parents came up from Oregon to visit and see the Grandkids. Took my Dad out to my Home course yesterday. He started grasping the concept fairly well around the 4th hole or so. Showed him Thumbers and Tomahawks cause I started working on them a bit lately. We played up through the 10th hole and he started getting some Nice, Straight throws, just not much distance. We were having a GREAT time when we hit the 11th hole. About 250ft, uphill with a significant 6ft ledge at about 150 ft, so you had to throw a bit high. He threw twice to get to the ledge, only to hit a tree which caused him to now have to deal with the ledge AND the 8ft tree DIRECTLY in front of him. The only shot he had was a NARROW window about 4ft above his head and 15ft out. 

He looked discouraged, but he grabs the disc and checks his options. He is about 90-100ft from the basket. I am up by my disc about 40ft in front of the basket. He CHUCKS a Tomahawk over the tree, through the Narrow window in the brush. I watch it come out unscathed, go up about 20-25ft and sail. It turns over and drops RIGHT INTO THE BASKET...... I could not believe it. Was a VERY technical shot from my point of view, and he full on nailed it. It Was AWESOME to see how excited he was. :) Drained a 90ft Overhand shot the 1st day he has Ever touched a Disc...

LONG story short, he Really enjoys disc golf! He even went home with 4 of my beginner friendly discs and we have plans to play His home course over Easter Weekend while we are down there. Good Times..............

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thats awesome. i did the same thing a few months ago. i was suprized that he made 15 holes and hes is overweight. but he stil had fun and want to go agian but im moving too tennessee in may.

nice

Gotta love it! The first time I ever  played (Riverside in Puyallup) I was full of sensory overload, ya know...try this, do this, NO it's not a frisbee! you pull it across your chest...etc.....So my 1st shot (with a Shark) goes it's normal noob 100 ft. Then he tell me to try this disc instead (Roc). So I'm about 150 ft away from the basket and I'm just thinking "pull across my chest". Off it goes nice and straight..........bag! chains! The best part (other than the shot) was the look on there faces lol! After that day I was hooked and I wish I could repeat that shot  waaaay more often!

Such a great story! Thanks for sharing :)
i have to go now.  I feel a tear forming....
Chip off the 'ol son or is it dad?

My dad will go & walk with us sometimes but he wont throw. My guess is he doesnt want to embarass himself.

Funny part is he calls it Disco-Golf LOL. When are you guys gonna play some disco golf again? I dont know. Let me find some BeeGees songs first haha

You will soon realize that you have made the best decision of you life (getting your dad involved). I got my brother and dad playing a couple of years ago now and it seems to be about the only thing we talk about anymore. I am a firm believer that there is no time better spent than playing a round of disc golf with your family and friends.
My father hates the fact that I disc golf. He views disc golf similarly to how some viewed skateboarding in the 80's and early 90's, a bunch of young men staggering around the woods getting high and drunk. He owns a farm in northwestern Michigan, and the land would be AMAZING for a DGC. Lots of elevation (highest point in the county) a river, ravines, pines and hardwoods, not to mention the a portion of it has been logged so there are already some "natural" lanes up there and the work required to shape the rest of the holes would be minimal. He told me yesterday that I had to wait until he died.
that's a bit much

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968