www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

im just now hearing the term 'touch' and 'touch game.' what is that?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me, touch mainly refers to upshots. Having the feel / general flow / groove you are feeling when executing a shot. Knowing even before you release, that disc is gonna go where you want. Almost a state of mind, zen feeling. If you are feeling the "touch", you know you are and your score is going to show that!
Touch means control. A person with a big arm can blast a drive but can they park a 100 foot upshot? The upshot is touch.

Shaquille O'Neal can dunk with great power but put him at the free throw line and he lacks touch. His power does him no good at the charity stripe.

A weak player with great touch will almost always beat a power player without touch because golf is a game of control.
"Touch" Disc Golf... as opposed to "Full Contact" Disc Golf

o.k., that was funny but I still like mine better.
thanks guys!
mark ellis said:
Touch means control. A person with a big arm can blast a drive but can they park a 100 foot upshot? The upshot is touch.

Shaquille O'Neal can dunk with great power but put him at the free throw line and he lacks touch. His power does him no good at the charity stripe.


wow Mark, that was a freakin GREAT analogy !!
A weak player with great touch will almost always beat a power player without touch because golf is a game of control.
ok so, would a 'touch disc' be at all necessary? one like a snap whitler? or should i stick with my midranges and my putter?
Touch is produced from throwing the disc with different grips and arm speed. I recommend learning how to throw with a "Fan" grip. That is with your fingers more spread apart on the underside of the disc. With less fingertips on the rim. This will put less rotation on the disc and allow you to throw more abstract angles. Get yourself a DGA Gumbputt circa 1985. They are kind of hard to come by now a days. If you manage to find one though, they are the best touch discs ever made. In my humble opinion that is.....Good Luck

Andrew Rich
Necessary?? Maybe not. Useful? Heck yes.

I have a broom, do I still need a toothbrush? Your doctor has an axe, does he still need a scalpel?

With enough skill the best in the world can make do. For the rest of us the right tool helps a lot.

The best touch disc made, imo, is the Discraft Rattler. Get one. Use it for playing catch at short range (100 feet and under). Once you figure it out, throw it soft. Throw it smooth. Throw it gentle. Float it in. This is what touch is all about.



speshelj said:
ok so, would a 'touch disc' be at all necessary? one like a snap whitler? or should i stick with my midranges and my putter?
yep, I have gone to a flat top 175 roc for my finesse shots.
mark ellis said:
Necessary?? Maybe not. Useful? Heck yes.

I have a broom, do I still need a toothbrush? Your doctor has an axe, does he still need a scalpel?

With enough skill the best in the world can make do. For the rest of us the right tool helps a lot.

The best touch disc made, imo, is the Discraft Rattler. Get one. Use it for playing catch at short range (100 feet and under). Once you figure it out, throw it soft. Throw it smooth. Throw it gentle. Float it in. This is what touch is all about.



speshelj said:
ok so, would a 'touch disc' be at all necessary? one like a snap whitler? or should i stick with my midranges and my putter?

I'm impressed that Mark resisted posting accolades for the Rattler for an entire day and a half on this thread. :-)
I think touch carrys over to driving as well. I will take a beat disc off the tee over a stable one alot of times so I can throw softer and more accurate. I definitly believe that is touch being able to thread the needle on a tight hole with less power makes for more accurate outcome. I rarely throw more than 80% power on any shot but the touch I put on it still gives me all the distance I need.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…
 

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968