www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i've recently hit a plateau on my score and actually have started regressing. i've thought about spending my normal disc golf time to practice instead of play in order to get better. any advice on practice structure and different training techniques?

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have found that when you feel you are wanting to improve your game, have someone video you playing a round, drives, upshots, and putts. Review the videos and watch how you are playing. I bet you will wonder what the HELL you were thinking on a few throws, and some shots you will see what you did right. Now when you go practice you can try and drop those bad habbits and improve your form. Sometimes it's hard to take your buddy razzing you about what you are doing wrong but once you see it with your own eyes you will make it a point to change that.
Make up games. I made one tonight with a 100ft rope. You have 2 ahots to make it in from the end of the rope. I go to open fields to drive and I practice tunnels and hard shots in my neighborhood.
Hey charles lignos,
The answer depends on your level and situation. I looked up your name at the PDGA site and evidently you have never been a member, which suggests you do not have much of a tournament history. The newer any player is the easier advancement should be.

If you could describe your current level of play, the greatest weaknesses in your game and your goals for advancement then advice could be tailored to your situation.
easiest way for most players to improve is to practice putting from 25 feet and in, don't waste any time practicing longer ones until you make ALL the short ones. you are trying to train your mind that you make all your putts as much as you are trying to train your body to do so. once you are confident that you will hit putts consistently it takes a lot of self-imposed pressure off of your drive and approach games.
There are many commentaries on practice out there. Go look at discgolfreview for some info. I don't think it much matters how you practice, as long as you do. Different people will tell you what is the most important thing to practice, they're all correct...

Getting good is a two step process, practice to learn the correct technique, then practice to imprint the correct technique on your game.

Google Ken Climo for putting technique. Most people don't use his technique, but given that he and Barry Schultz use the same technique and they dominate in terms of accuracy, I highly recommend doing what they do. Also, go to discgolfmonthly on YouTube and watch episode 53. Listen as they commentators talk about Schultz's putting technique. Then go to discraft's web site and watch Mark's putting clinic, it is sweet!

There is a dissertation on throwing for distance on discgolfreview by the master of the sport Dave Dunipace (owner of Innova - don't tell Mark I sent you to him). That said, don't throw for distance, throw for accuracy using the distance techniques laid out there. People get obssessed with distance, it is not the answer. There is tons of video on throwing for distance, watch some of it for fun, but keep in mind that the speed is so fast that it is hard to discern good technique except on a large body movement scale. One thing that I've found is that the events that occur prior to the unwind and snap (read Dave's stuff) look fast, but relatively speaking are slow and controlled.

Good luck.
Field practice is always a great way to improve your game and to learn shots. Practice anhyzer and hyzer shots by throwing around a tree or other object. Practice overhead shots by throwing over the tree. Practice backhand and forehand shots. Learn to throw a roller (backhand and/or forehand). Knowing a variety of shots can take strokes off your game more than maxing out your wide open distance. Practice your upshots and putting. It doesn't matter that you can drive to the pin if you can't make the putt.

Go to a local league or event and ask some top players to look at your grip and form. A good strong grip can make all the difference in the world. While not all top local players are good at teaching or explaining a good throw, they may be able to spot an obvious problem or let you know you what you are doing right.
Yeah, i have to agree with some others on this thread.

Buy a portable basket. you can go to a park and practice putts or drives without pressure from other players who normally have to wait for you to throw your entire bag. Or you can take it to a high school football field and gauge your drives.

Try making up games. Or even manipulate the original game with added twists. For example, play in a parking lot, play with some discs you dont mind beating up. I like to practice skip shots on the pavement. This has come in handy this winter with the snow and my FLX.

Practice placing shots. Instead of going for the basket so much, practice your placement in the fairway.
more and more disc golf
Practice and think Positive !!!!!
Monthly tourney play, going out to wide open fields, playing with those who play tournaments and are better players than you are.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968