www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am going to be in the Traverse City area over Memorial Day weekend, and I'd like to play up there. Since my schedule might not allow for more than one round, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which course to hit. I'll be in Sutton's Bay, so I'm looking at either Hickory Hills or Myles Kimmerly. Thanks!

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't personally played either but from what my friends have said you have to hit up Hickory Hills
I have played Hickory Hills many times. It is a fine and challenging course. The hills of Hickory Hills are many and will take a toll on your energy and test your endurance.

I have never played Miles Kimmerly. When it went in I asked the locals if it was as good a course as Hickory. They told me it wasn't and since I have not played a tournament there yet I have had no compulsion to visit it (oh, and its also 4 hours drive away).
Hickory hills is my favorite course ever! Bring hiking boots and two lunches. It definetly challenging and fun to play. You will never want to leave. Theres a good mix of distance and accuracy. I have also played a course around there called log lake. The lake doesnt really come into play but it is the most technical course i have played. Really difficult and will make you mad if short isnt your game but i think when you play log lake you leave better than you came.
Thanks for the input!
Bring your camera, you'll want a picture from the tip top out to the bay. A great view.
I've played both and enjoyed them both. Let me put in a good word for Myles. Hickory will get the votes as the 'better' course, but a few things that haven't been mentioned:

1. Myles is less likely to be crowded. Much further off the beaten path.
2. Myles has a good deal of elevation change, but Hickory, if you're not in shape, will punish you (I speak from sad, sore muscle experience).
3. Make sure you get a map. My first time at Hickory I made one wrong turn looking for the next basket. Big mistake. You'll want a map for Myles, too.
4. Every time I've played Myles I've run in to some really nice people.
5. Myles is a challenging and fun course. My first round there was terrible, but I left wanting to come back, and have several times.
I hope you get a chance to play both courses. They're both worth the effort.
robbax,

couldn't have said it better myself.....Both are excellent courses worth playing. Hickory will always be much more crowded, I would avoid peak hours if possible. Hickory is probably a superior course. When I played Myles midsummer on a sunday I didn't see another person in the entire park (other than my group).....Both are in my top ten for sure.
Mark, If you have extra time up north in the TC area you should check out Myles... worth a visit. I would compare it to a tougher, more hilly, up-north version of Rolling hills (though I am not sure if it is that lefty/sidearm friendly :) ).
Definetly. 19 is my favorite hole ever.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968