www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Please share

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aim low in a head wind, the putter will rise. Aim high in a tail wind as it will make the disc drop.
You can't think about the wind. Block it out and putt with a mean streak/confidence. Sean is right too. So practice before you play to get a feel for the wind. One other thing. Not sure if this a "trick" or a trade secret. I played with a pro for one of are weekly doubles. After a few holes and a few misses on my part. He told me to put some hyzer angle on my putts (approx 45 degrees). Heck if it didn't work. The wind really didn't mess with them as much.
Wait for a nicer day.
Be aggressive with a stable disc like a Champ Spider and add a little extra snap on release.
If its a tail wind(more than 10mph) i pretty much aim for the number plate, for a head wind I squatt down and bend my knees and get way lower than normal.
Um, practice putt on windy days to prepare for windy day putting. It is not a trick, it is a commitment.
Stake that portable basket down...learn the face wind putt, equal amounts of wind on top and bottom of the putter to slice through the air, it can have a little drop, so that is what you practice to realize. Tailwind putts, keep the lip up, keep the disc high as it is going to drop suddenly, this is what you practice to realize...when it is going to drop and how it will act. Crosswinds are a bear, so really try to set up your upshot with either a face wind or a tail wind. You should try to control where you are putting from. But practice the crosswind putts anyhow, they act more like the tailwind unless you angle the disc and let the wind get under it. Practice will show you what is going to happen with crosswinds. Even more practice and you eventually understand what is going on and make corrections. Knowing how to practice properly is another whole ballgame. Say like if you are putting with different discs, you are not practicing properly. You must have putters that are the same weight and model. You are working on consistency and muscle memory...adjusting for each different putter is tough work and slow hard learning. Get putters from the same run with the same weights. Learn to control them through structured practice. Making practice fun can be a challenge, but watching personal improvements will motivate you to stick with it. My best learning comes from frustration and correction! Do it and stick with it!

I like a tail wind putt better than a head wind. So if it is real windy i will always try to leave a tail wind putt. Try to figure out what you are better at and aim your drive to miss on that side.
...otherwise known as 'course managment'...
The first trick is to leave your couch on windy days and go out and practice and play. You cannot learn tough conditions unless you are in them. Crazy winds are a rare opportunity.

It is fine to have preferences for which winds you like best but you need to understand and practice them all. The same winds which make your putts difficult to control also make your upshots difficult to control. So attempting to set yourself up for a tailwind putt is ok but c'mon, if you were that good at controlling your drives and upshots all your putts would be drop-ins.

Headwinds and tailwinds are relatively easier to figure out. Just hit the line and adjust the height (now doesn't that sound deceptively easy?). Some players just putt harder. Of course the faster you putt in increasingly stronger winds the farther your miss will travel (if you ever miss). I am not a fan of putting hard. My wrist is not strong enough to do it, anyway. I try for flat and smooth.

The trickiest wind putts are crosswinds, just like Disc-O Golf said. For a right handed player the right-to-left wind is the worst. (Just like a left-to-right wind is for the lefties.) Your discs want to hyzer. They are designed that way. Your wrist is designed that way, too, which is why most players are hyzer dominant. So if your disc starts to hyzer, it exposes the bottom of the disc to the wind and it sails away. So your short ten foot putt, which you threw gently and just barely missed the line on may give you a 40 foot comeback. In really strong winds that miss may roll until it hits something big enough or thick enough to stop it.

The solution to this putt (right-to-left wind) is to use a slight anhyzer putting line. If you throw it perfect it goes in. If you miss the putt, the wind knocks it down and keeps it close to the basket. So lift the wing of your putter up as you release it, just like if you were anhyzering your putter around a tree.

The general rule for dealing with strong winds on drives or upshots or putts is to throw your shot perfectly flat and smooth. Perfectly flat seldom gets you in trouble. So if you have some funny, swirling, gusty, strong wind you are not sure what to do with then throw flat and smooth. Then hold your breath. :)

Using identical putters is a good way for beginners to figure out how to putt. It takes one variable out of the equation. For more advanced players using discs of different stability may be preferable. Some discs will work better for some shots and the advanced player will be better able to understand and utilize those advantages.
I usually go nose down and a little hyzer in a headwind. Cause if you go nose up that wind will take it away. Tail wind just aim a little higher. Like everyone else said... practice on windy days. Our local course is known for being windy. Driving too...same thing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968