www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

On Wednesday the 9th of Dec. at 4:30 pm. A co-worker (who is an Eagle Scott Master) and myself will be going before the Ionia County Parks Advisory Board to propose the installation of a 18 hole disc golf course in Bertha Brock County Park in Ionia, MI. If they give us the 'good-ahead', then our next stop will be to the County Commissioner's Office to get permission to build the course. If they give us the green light, then it will be the long road of getting money and building it.

I saw the whole discussion of how 'Nathan' the Eagle Scott put a course in his neck of the woods; and how all our fellow disc golfers gave him guidance and advice. I am asking now for that same advice. Please post any descriptions, outlines, success stories, testimonies, etc...

Attached is a Map of the park. The layered green area is where I will be proposing the course to be installed. It's more than enough land with a massive sledding hill.

Views: 22

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Too true. I would just pull the pins that would be in the way of kids sledding.
If the weather is permitting, today is the day I go in front of the County Parks Advisory Board. Wish me good luck!
dont you think michigan has enough disc golf courses 116 courses and thats not the private ones IM JEALOUS
We sacrificed the auto industry for disc golf
making cars pays better but layd off workers enjoy the discing me bets
I am please to say that my meeting with the Ionia County Parks Advisory Board was a huge success! They loved my idea for an 18 hole disc golf course to be installed in Bertha Brock Park and approved it! They we're even willing to go in front of the County Commissioner for me, I would just have to help with any necessary research. This spring, myself, a select group of volunteers, and the head of the board will begin to lay out the course.

All the wheels seem to be in motion, but I know there will still be a lot of work to do and a lot of help to ask for. If anyone has any input on how to write up a letter to address privates parties for donations, how to write donation receipts, or any other paper work related to a community efforts in disc golf course installation, please let me know.

Thanks a ton!
I wish we could have the same city council the city council in BOISE IDAHO seems to keep us out of parks. for the first time in 10 or 11 years here (ive been here 6 years) the parks are telling us that we cant set up temp courses in parks because they ARE either wetlands or some other lame excuse WE LIVE IN THE SNAKE RIVER PLAIN ITS ALL DESERTT OR WETLANDS NEAR THE RIVER. ive been golfing for 26 years and hoped to see this sport grow, some places it has other places dont have a chance because of the city council members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think the pdga could help?
Thats sweet man! Bertha Brock has the potential to be an awesome course, all the elevation, trees and the creek could make for a phenomenal course. I have a buddy that lives out in Ionia and has been trying to get a course in out there for a while. I dont know how much progress he has made but if you guys want to hook up I could put you in contact with him. It wouldnt hurt to have some one local to lend a hand. Good luck! I cant wait to play it when its in!
Any local support can help. Right now, I'm trying to get as many local organizations to back the installation of the course as I can. I'm thinking that I will have to set up some kind of communication network, via the web or what not, to get all volunteer work/donations together. You should ask your body how he would like to help.
You are always gonna a have a hard time trying to do any kind of development around wetlands. Look for areas that are undeveloped that don't interfere with to much wildlife preservation. Have you tried some of the surrounding communities of Boise? This is kind of why I am trying to put a course in Ionia versus where I live, Grand Rapids, MI. Space in GR is at a premium and Communities are hard to budge on any kind of development that would hurt their little green islands of wilderness.
I just sent you a message with my buddys # Im positive he would be down for helping in any way he could. He has been wanting to get a course in there for a while. I know hes working on another proposed course install at a local golf course there as well. You should hit him up I will let him know you are calling. Id talk more but I gotta head off to work. Good Luck!
Derek,
No disrespect here, but if you guys do get the green light, maybe you could get some of the "good behavior" incarcerated to give you guys a hand with the installation. That is (of course) when the funds start rolling in. Just a thought here.
K.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968