www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So this might be overthinking it but here's what I got...

I recently purchased a used 175g DX Valkyrie and I LOVE it, it's the most comfortable, farthest and most controllable long distance driver in my bag. Because it's used (Very used) I'm afraid that if I buy another 175g Dx Valk, that I'll be disappointed with how differently they fly.

I'm wondering if I purchase a lighter weight Valkyrie, in a higher end plastic (maybe Pro so it isn't more stable than I want) it will fly more closely to a beat in Valk of a heavier weight? And stay that way longer (due to the plastic)?

I'm just now exploring the effect that weights have in terms of disc flight, I've always gone for 170-175 on all my discs thinking anything less was too light, and now I'm starting to think I might have set myself up for failure (or at least set myself up to fight the disc stability more than I would have to otherwise)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Tags: advise, driver, innova, valkyrie, weight

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beat drivers are the magic ones. A ligher driver will come close, but wont be the same.  My bag is full of used, beat up discs.  Used discs suit my game better.  Other players depend on stability.  This is the beauty of disc golf, to each his own.

I like to break in Star and Champ plastic.  DX and Pro feel great, but will become so beat you cant use them. Your higher end plastic could stay with your for years. Of course there are a lot of variable that play into how fast your discs will break in.  There is nothing wrong with buying or trading for used discs.  The challenge is to break in a disc before you lose it! 

Well lighter disc will do what you want, but are going to be effected by the wind more. I still throw 150g Sidewinders for wooded courses when I need something straight to slight anhyzer. 

I would buy a couple dx valks and find the nearest tree. Give them a few good drives into the tree (not all out hard as you can) and then give them a toss and see how they fly. Repeat as necessary until it reaches the stability you want.

Now I would aslo suggest you work with a brand new one, as your game grows you will build into the disc.

I started playing with a DX Beast as my driver.. after a short time and A LOT of learning by hitting things my beast died the death of a DX disc.. I scoured ebay until I found an acceptable used star beast and it was like shaking hands with an old friend.

Just go out and buy yourself about three DX Valkyries and maybe one Star Valkyrie. The DX ones will break in quickly and the Star will break in eventually. I still throw DX plastic but it does need to be replaced from time to time. If you have a few of them then you will have some backup.

There is a legal way to quickly beat in good plastic (better than pro), throw discs on concrete that land softly on their bead, wearing down the bead will under stable a disc faster than tearing up the edges.  I'm just sayin'.....

Perfectly said.  It wont take long to break in dx plastic.  The bad part is they break in nice, then before you know it (like the next day) they're flipping out of control.  If you were to take the time to break in a star valkyrie I think you'd be very pleased.

I use both DX and Star TeeBirds. The DX discs are used for straight shots or anhyzer shots, especially after they break in a bit which doesn't take very long (maybe a day or two). My Star TeeBird is used more for long hyzer bombs and I hit a nice ace with mine about a year and a half ago. I haven't had to replace the Star TeeBird but I go through about three to four of the DX variety each year. They are cheaper so even though you have to keep buying DX discs it doesn't cost all that much. I won't stop throwing a DX TeeBird because it does come in very handy at times.

Your instincts are good and your fears are warranted.

No matter the mold, any disc which is perfectly broken in is very difficult to replace or replicate.  But any mold which fits well in your hand and performs well for you is worth getting more of.  Every run of every disc is going to be at least somewhat different and maybe significantly different when you mix in the variables of weights, colors and plastics.  Some of those variations will be useful, some not so much.

Unfortunately there is no exact formula for finding a disc based on your very specific needs.  All things being equal a lighter disc will be less stable than a heavier one.  But all things are never equal and some lighter discs are more stable than heavier versions.  Generally premium plastics will be more overstable than basic plastics but not always.

The only safety is getting backups and using them regularly so you both learn them and break them in.  Buying or trading for used versions of your favorite discs may be cheaper and faster than buying new.

There is a real danger in becoming too dependent on a single disc.  You cannot let your confidence be centered on an individual disc because sooner or later that disc will be gone but your game will go on. 

The other important variable is you.  For as long as you keep improving your form and (perhaps) power will improve.  Those changes will make discs fly differently.  So a disc which is too overstable to be a primary driver today may be perfect next year.  As you learn new shots a disc which gathers dust today may be essential to an overhead or a sidearm or a roller tomorrow.

Good points Mark. I have quite a few discs that are similar but slightly different (Sidewinder, Medusa, King, Vulcan, Lemon Lake Katana). I enjoy being able to choose between those discs for slight variations in my throw. Also if I were to lose one of those discs I could substitute another disc quite easily without having to change much with my throw. I have to say that the Westside King is quite understable out of the box and would also be a good disc for someone who likes a Valkyrie. If you like a Valkyrie then maybe try some of the discs that I have listed.

Thanks Mark, I will keep this in mind for sure!

Jim, will do!

There is nothing like field practice to really learn the idiosyncracies of each disc in your bag.  They are a little spendy ($40-$60), but consider buying a tree-proof first or second run CE Valkyrie, the stablility is quite increased (like a broke in teebird) and they will probably break in by the time I'm 60, lol.  Use full weight discs, preferably overstable when throwing into the wind and lighter more understable drivers for tail wind drives.  There is no failure as long as you keep thinking and experimenting with the disc flights, weight of disc can be a consideration too.  Keep tossin' and keep the faith!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968