www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just wondering if there is anything against using a PDGA approved Turbo Putt? I know it went back and forth on approval and I believe now it is Not Approved. But the one I own says PDGA Approved.

I'm guessing its a no no to use, what are your thoughts?

Views: 1081

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it was approved for a year, but from what I gather was pressure from big companies such as Innova was dropped from PDGA

Considering the variety of putter designs in ball golf, I am not sure why it was changed

It does say PGDA approved 2007. Sad for this weird little disc, its approval has been revoked.
it plays quite well

They decided that due to the scalloped edge it was no longer technically a 'disc'.

It took a year to decide that?

I think PDGA got pushed on that one.

I think in general terms 2 things have happened in disc golf

one tech has made disc good players throw miles and that has hit some course designs hard

and as a result different it feared.

There is very little 'design' difference in putters is disc golf. In ball golf there are likely 100s and some insanely different ones, like those with 6-7 foot shafts

Same when u think of honking big whale drivers, chippers, sand wedges, clubs for specific use, but then the Quest Roller doesn't get approval either.

Strange how no company has made a 'roller' specific disc.

Yeah even the new ones I have for sale all say PDGA approved, after all it was already in-graved in the mold. I used to use the Quest AT Turbo Putter and it works well for turbo and reg putting. I stopped using it when I wanted to play tourneys just so I wouldn't have to play a putter I didn't know. But I still think they are great and I think they should be approved!

Eric if you would just win the drawing for my putters you wouldn't need a turbo putter. Or you could buy some :)

http://stores.ebay.com/Grip-N-Rip-Disc-Golf-shop/Rip-Disc-Golf-/_i....

Not approved for PDGA Sanctioned tournaments. A favorite for casual players though!
Now I call it the "Turbo Trainer"
Quest Turbo-Putt

http://youtu.be/PtUeUjcp1-k

Funny thing is I can't turbo putt with that thing at all....

I will only buy one after I win the drawing that way I'll have the whole set. Then have to wait on the mid. I only won't buy one because if I do, then next month I'll win and then I'll be like "why did I buy it".

Better yet I could be you first sponsored player, and will carry them proudly ;)

Actually, there was a "roller specific disc" about the same time.  It had a flat rim (like a "birdie") with the flight plate mounted midway down the rim.  Take 2 birdie putters, glue them top-to-top, and you have a rough idea.

As I recall, the wheel and the turbo putter and other oddities came out about the same time, when clever designers realized the technical specs had never envisioned such things and thus didn't preclude them.  The specs were updated to specify a "disc", as we've always known them, and after a grandfather period these became non-approved.   Which ended my hopes for a triangular "disc" to avoid rollaways on sloped greens.

I think that the Turbo Putter is pretty much a gimmick. I have used the turbo putt a few times and I understand how to throw it. But I don't need any sort of special disc. I have also seen others throw a turbo putt and they also do it with regular discs. Should it be allowed? I don't know. I wouldn't use one.

If it came down to not using one, we'd big a dozen discs and wouldn't care about the other 300 models avaialble

The question I see is whether the 'rule' that pushed the turbo to the side thwarts tech development in the future?

Fisrt... to late for that my first sponsored player is Ian Sepkovic of Eugene OR. I am sure I'll do more sponsors as things pick up! Right now still just getting this thing off the ground! Keep entering to win and some day you'll get it! I'll start up another one soon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968