www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just had an idea that maybe is already around, but I never heard about it so I thought I would share it.

It's a mix of Ultimate Frisbee and disc-golf, to be played in doubles or maybe as a team. The basic idea is that discs should never hit the ground, otherwise you incur a penalty. One guys throws, the other receives then throws while the other runs to the proper spot (OK, you don't HAVE to run, it's a recreational game).
If playing in teams, for a par 3 hole you would have 3 players who take up their spots before tee-off. The whole thing could even be timed actually, so that in the end each team/pair would have both a score and a time.
No big drives in this variant obviously, tough choices at times (have to play a lot safer, esp. in wooded areas). What type of disc to use is one interesting point: Super Class probably? Putters (soft)?

Looking forward to reading your reactions...

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why wouldn't there be any long throws? You're still trying to make it from tee to target in the least amount of throws right?

If disc hits the ground, you have to start over.

Now, what if you made it even a little more towards the ultimate side...

Two teams of two or three play against each other with one disc. Flip for who gets it off the first tee. You have play just like ultimate except that to score, your team has to get the disc in the target. You would not count strokes in this variation. There would be 18 points available per round. If you end in a tie, you play a one or three hole playoff. Possession would be handled just like ultimate. Defending team can knock the disc away and if disc hits the ground, possession changes. There would also have to be some sort of rule that prevented defending players from just standing around the target. Sound fun...
Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
What I meant by long throws is 350+ drives: first because they're difficult to catch (drivers tend to hurt, unless you really are expert at catching), and second because they tend to stray, so it's probably best to use one more stroke than get a penalty (otherwise it means the penalty is not well designed, so maybe +2 strokes if disc hits the ground).
Your suggestion is opening many possibilities actually...
Sounds like fun to me, especially because of my location. Pretty much no one has any idea of how to play ultimate and there certainly isnt enough of us to make up teams. This variation would be sweet and more practical for the small community that I live in!

Great idea, I might give it a whirl with a few buddies!
Just make it so players cannot cross within 30 feet of the basket and only one player per team can be in the 30 to 40 foot circle at a time except for the team with possession, this would prevent all defensive players from crowding the 30 to 40 foot circle and making putting impossible. This way one offensive player could play close to basket and his teamate would have to go for the shot or lob one over defensemen to get the disc inside of the 30 foot radius.

Sounds like fun to me!
I hope that this isn't politically incorrect in any way but I have my own version of disc golf where little people hide behind bushes at random locations on the course and try to knock the disc out of the air. Kind of like mixing Wipeout with disc golf. Yes I am a slightly warped individual. If you are really mixing Ultimate with disc golf then you need a defensive team as well.
Read a little closer then...........
Great, I'm glad you like it! I have the same problem actually, not many players around, and I am trying to hook up a bunch of Ultimate players to disc golf actually. This can also be a fun game for Ultimate teams when not enough players show up on a practice session.
Lol! Well, indeed, why not imagine a version where the other players in the group try to at least offset the disc in the air, that is not easy to achieve anyway.

Regarding the need for a defense team, in fact my point is simply to add a catching dimension to disc golf, and also to make doubles a truly team effort. I feel catching can infuse renewed interest in some holes ou even courses that are not challenging enough for experienced players in the long run.
Years ago a fellow by the name of Nick Hart came up with the game you mention. He was an Ultimate player. He called it "Obstinate Unticle". I guess he combined the words object and ultimate . Only a guess. We actually played the game at the old Rockledge golf course in Cocoa Beach Florida. It never caught on...lol
Thanks for this info - and respect to Nick Hart, I say!
I created a format just like this about a year ago, used the same name as well, Ultimate Doubles.

My Version:

You and your partner try to complete the course without the disc touching the ground.

Partners alternate pads.

Throw to your partner, if he catches it, then he throws from the spot where caught to you or basket.

If he doesn't catch it, re-throw, until he does. Each throw counts as a stroke.

Alternate throwing and catching to each other until disc is in the basket.

Tap ins (Kan Jam style) do not count as a throw. But if disc hits the ground, re-throw/putt again. This seemed to be the toughest part, knowing where to position yourself for an easy tap in around the basket.

We had a TAP IN ACE last time we played.

Strategy and knowing each others strengths and weaknesses plays a huge part in this format.

Knowing how far you can accurately throw without putting your partner in danger of smashing into a tree is helpful.

Predictable discs that are easy to catch work beast.

We only use rocs and putters to navigate the courses, drivers can be to unpredictable and painful.

Try it out, sure is a blast.

Looking for challengers here in the Sunshine State. Anybody? Anybody?
Many thanks for sharing your experience and tips (and for mentioning Kan Jam, which I had never heard of). I find the idea of a tap-in-aces extreeemely exciting!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968