www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Anyone out there play, hear about, make or been to a course that's not exactly legit? I grew up riding BMX and still ride. A big obstacle was always having a place to build jumps(trails( http://www.vimeo.com/740858 )), so we would find a "vacant" piece of land and dig away. Of course, lots of issues to deal with, the main one being all that hard work going down the drain, but the times we had to enjoy will last a lifetime. The video I linked to is a video I shot and edited and those trails have now been plowed and are long gone, a new location has been found and that's underway.

Anyways, just wondering if there is anything like this is disc golf...

edit: since I didn't really say it, I'll just put it out there and I know some of ya'll might not agree since it could actually give disc golf a bad rep, but we're being super low key about it, so I think we should be fine. Anyways, big piece of city land, couple walking trails going through, not much other traffic. Lots of elevation changes and variation in the type of vegetation. We're starting with two homeade(tire style) baskets. Not sure how we're going to disguise them yet, whether it be paint or putting branches on them when we leave or just letting them be. We'll have several tees to each of the baskets and we'll go from there. We're not going to spend lots of time or make an 18 hole course because we know the second we put the baskets in, they might be gone the next time we come back. We're basically doing it to give us something close and something kind of fun to do. About six of us will know where these baskets are in this 100 acre park and I think it should be kind of fun and low key. I will be posting pictures and video of what we have going on. Hate it or love it, just hoping to have a little fun and stay respectful of the land(not cutting trees or damaging the park outside of putting a basket in and a few weeds trampled).

thanks!

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't get it? How much trouble could one get in for putting a temp basket at and throwing at it?
I checked out an abandoned ski hill in my town with a proposal in mind to install baskets someplace.
When I got there I found the City had posted a No Trespassing sign.
No One was paying attention to it there were at least SIX Paragliders launching from the site.
IT had a perfect concrete Launching Pad left over from the dismantled Ski Chair lifts at the summit .
The Bottom of the hill a 18 hole Golf Course separated by hundreds of trees. IDEAL place for targets.
There are TWO Waterfalls within a mile of the site so it makes a tempting "Object Coarse"
The Waterfalls and trails are Public access, only the EX-Ski Hill was posted.

My friend set up a great pole course in AuGres, Michigan on some city property. It's all flat land but its a lot of fun and only a few people know about it. He's had it forever I guess and is still hoping to get baskets in.
we are about to start doing this although i dont know if it underground or not we are just going to rock up to a park set a course and play it hoping that we will get 9 holes on. We have to do this anyway as we are trying to find the best location for our new course
there was a long time object course in a public park where 2 golfers actually purchased baskets and put them in the ground without telling the parks dept. took about 3 months for the park to figure it out and they got lucky and were allowed to leave the baskets in.

when i was in college long prior to learning about the "sport" we played object golf in national parks all over the western u.s. one summer. best mando ever was having to pass through the great big tree in the redwoods that you used to be able to drive your car through.

i live in va but i have had multiple people tell me horse mountain is awesome- i think feldberg was one of them.
that place looks fun as hell! Keep us updated and post more pics once you're throwin!

Star*man said:
I checked out an abandoned ski hill in my town with a proposal in mind to install baskets someplace.
When I got there I found the City had posted a No Trespassing sign.
No One was paying attention to it there were at least SIX Paragliders launching from the site.
IT had a perfect concrete Launching Pad left over from the dismantled Ski Chair lifts at the summit .
The Bottom of the hill a 18 hole Golf Course separated by hundreds of trees. IDEAL place for targets.
There are TWO Waterfalls within a mile of the site so it makes a tempting "Object Coarse"
The Waterfalls and trails are Public access, only the EX-Ski Hill was posted.

The baskets I'm talking about would be in the ground. Permanent. Obviously not hard to remove, but in the ground, possibly with cement.

Jamie said:
I don't get it? How much trouble could one get in for putting a temp basket at and throwing at it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNuNnUp83Ro

Check out the Youtube version of the FALLS its gives a Human Perspective to size.
The whole area with a few more FALLS and an Abandoned Ski hill is in the following MAP.

http://www.cityofwaterfalls.ca/buttermilk_falls.html

Its located at the Western end of Lake Ontario half way around between Niagara Falls and Toronto making it an Ideal location for DISC GOLFERS but the City has it earmarked for "GREEN SPACE" although they own a 18 Hole GOLF COURSE at the bottom of this creek. (Golf SNOBS they wound not think of sharing the space) Its Public Access but I think a few Home Made TARGETS might be placed there this SPRING... I will try to get some more shots of my own.



dustin said:
that place looks fun as hell! Keep us updated and post more pics once you're throwin!

Star*man said:
I checked out an abandoned ski hill in my town with a proposal in mind to install baskets someplace.
When I got there I found the City had posted a No Trespassing sign.
No One was paying attention to it there were at least SIX Paragliders launching from the site.
IT had a perfect concrete Launching Pad left over from the dismantled Ski Chair lifts at the summit .
The Bottom of the hill a 18 hole Golf Course separated by hundreds of trees. IDEAL place for targets.
There are TWO Waterfalls within a mile of the site so it makes a tempting "Object Coarse"
The Waterfalls and trails are Public access, only the EX-Ski Hill was posted.

Have to start somewhere , even if it's a temp course.
I have done this in Melbourne, Australia. We are not blessed with permanent courses and so have to make our own. In fact, I have 1 permanent course within 400 miles, and it is crap.
The local councils are not aware of a sport called disc golf which makes it very hard to get an audience with a representative. In the mean time we set up temp courses. Check out my 'my bag' to see the course i built using 150mm PVC piping tone poles hanging from tree branches. I used fishing line with a metal key ring on the end which stays hanging from the tree (hardly noticable) and only bring the PVC pipes when we want to play. Someone did take most of them down at one stage, but i think that it was a local resident unhappy with 'kids' playing games in their park.
It was semi-legit until the institution decided night golf on campus was becoming too popular and therefor a problem. The unfortunate thing was that it was the closest thing to a course we had in Victoria. We've since moved to a semi-lit park in another part of town. Though, it takes a while before word of an underground course gets out to the player base.
in Britian, Sweden and Norway there is a law and common law that pertains to " right of access " ......... it essentially says that large pieces of land owned by governments and or undeveloped holding lands owned by landowners have to allow "the People" a right of access to them for crossing and or recreation as long as there is no damaged done to said properties. People are even allowed to camp on them as long as they are 150 yards from any dwellings. Check it out by Goggling "right of access" After all God has given all the land to all of the people to use. Those with deeds are just holding land that was bequeathed to them through some land ownership system developed by humans.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968