www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If the basket was invented in the early to mid seventies to accomodate the super class disc, shouldnt it be made smaller for modern putters? Look at the size of a golf ball compared to the hole. We have it way to easy. Id like to roll a disc into a laid over metal can so u have to use the terrain in the factor.

Views: 255

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

where can a SPIDER WEB basket be looked at ? Is there a web site that shows the basket ?

Chuck Kennedy said:
I believe the Innova Traveler would be the best catching target out there if a fair way to test them was determined. However, it's net design is not heavy duty enough for permanent installations.

Then Mark, I would say your Board failed to get the approval communicated to the Tech group so the Spiderwebs would get on the approved list. Stork has been a key partner in the Tech group as long as Homburg. He played at those Cincy Worlds where the Spiderwebs were used. Alan himself told me last summer he needed to submit one to get approved so he wasn't aware that your measurements were valid for the long haul.
But, in fact, you can hit the exact same spot (as close as a human eye can tell) at the exact same speed with the same disc and weather and spit or or stick, on a basket. There is no spot a player can aim for under any conditions (except as Mark said- from so close you can rest it inside without throwing it) that it will always go in and stay in on any basket.

Tim said:
Mark,
I disagree...isn't the idea to put the disc into the basket? In ball golf, you can put a putt on a perfect line, but if it's too firm the ball will more times than not roll over the hole. Same idea in disc...if a "perfect" putt slams the chains in the middle of the basket and blows through, it wasn't really a "perfect" putt after all. We're trying to put the disc in the basket, not slam the chains. Although, I do like that sound.:)
I am developing a mini target that is in the ground. It has chains and a flag pole. The plan is to be able to use creative landscaping for the green. Players should be able to throw it in from the air or roll it or slide the disc into the target. My proto type works. Is the sport ready for targets like this? Scores will go up. An adjustment will have to be made as to what par is on each hole. Most people don't like change. It could be a hard sell. The target area is twice the diameter of a disc with about 1/2 inch clearance on either side of the disc including the flag pole in the middle. Much like ball golf, the flag is removable depending on how you want to attack the target.
Ben,
Pure speculation on your part. Exact same everything?????
Tim, what about the putt that is tossed from 30-50' that dosn't "slam" the chains but comes in just on the right center of the pole on a hyzer angle and threads right through the chains and exits the center rear of the basket? Those putts always looked "perfect" to me.

Tim said:
Mark,
I disagree...isn't the idea to put the disc into the basket? In ball golf, you can put a putt on a perfect line, but if it's too firm the ball will more times than not roll over the hole. Same idea in disc...if a "perfect" putt slams the chains in the middle of the basket and blows through, it wasn't really a "perfect" putt after all. We're trying to put the disc in the basket, not slam the chains. Although, I do like that sound.:)
They are called "catch chains". If they don't catch what is the point of having them? Lets just take the chains off every basket and mount a basketball hoop (with no backboard) over the bottom of the basket and say you have to put the disc through the hoop to be a "perfect" putt. That will be a challenge, as well as an all new meaning to "shooting hoops".
Mark is right, that the best players do not change their putting style based on a putt that appeared to be very good, but in fact did not stay in the basket, so we must assume that the variable is the basket.

Assuming that, the next step could be that there is variability in the manufacture of the basket itself. Just looking at one model of basket only, I do not think that there is any significant variability of the basket dimensions.

My conclusion is that the existing baskets, with the traditional chain designs we have, are in fact, not truly omnidirectional, that is, they treat every putt the same no matter what direction the putt come in. If a putt comes in, at a certain angle and velocity, and hits dead center a link on the outer chains, it will not pass through that link. However, if it hits between the outer chain strands, it has a higher likelihood of passing through those strands, and, hence, increasing the possibility of a pass-through.

This inherent characteristic of the basket design is causing this problem. When I was putting with a Midnight Flyer 40 mold on what is now called a Mach I basket, there was no pass-through, for two reasons:

- The disc was of a larger diameter, and harder to fit through the strands
- The disc was less dense that putters we typically use nowadays.

In conclusion, the smaller, denser putters we now use, compounded with the bias of the basket with respect to putt direction, is causing our frustration, and a possible solution, without going to Vintage or SC discs, would be to encourage the manufacture of disc entrapment devices with more strands of outer chains, thereby decreasing the chance of discs passing through what should be a sweet spot.
i have never seen or even heard of this spider web basket. i cannot find any pics either. help?
This isn't the best picture of them, but it does give you an idea of what they look like. Next time I'm out working at the camp I'll try to remember to take a few shots of them so you can get a better idea of what they look like. This one isn't installed yet.....just holding it up for the picture.

By the way Mark.....I'm REAL GLAD to read your comments about these baskets. Makes me even more sure that I bought the right ones!
FYI Mark, the PDGA office is checking the Board minutes archives for 1998 (paper in boxes, not in computer) to determine whether a Board motion did approve the Spiderweb permanently versus just for the event. We should have an answer later next week when Jason can check into it.
For a view of these baskets in action follow this link....but keep in mind that the ones in this video are of the portable variety not ones that are permanently installed.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?rKWc95MXLF4

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968