www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If the basket was invented in the early to mid seventies to accomodate the super class disc, shouldnt it be made smaller for modern putters? Look at the size of a golf ball compared to the hole. We have it way to easy. Id like to roll a disc into a laid over metal can so u have to use the terrain in the factor.

Views: 255

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

thats what Im talking about!!! I tried rollin my putter into a turned over trash can the other day and it took me like 4 chances to finally get it in there.

Linc Morgan said:
I am developing a mini target that is in the ground. It has chains and a flag pole. The plan is to be able to use creative landscaping for the green. Players should be able to throw it in from the air or roll it or slide the disc into the target. My proto type works. Is the sport ready for targets like this? Scores will go up. An adjustment will have to be made as to what par is on each hole. Most people don't like change. It could be a hard sell. The target area is twice the diameter of a disc with about 1/2 inch clearance on either side of the disc including the flag pole in the middle. Much like ball golf, the flag is removable depending on how you want to attack the target.
Possibilities are there! As has been said before on here though making it "More Challenging" might "Turn off" some of the crowd now playing....but then again, it would remain to be seen whether or not this might help bring in "new" players.
I would be for making baskets smaller if those small baskets would catch 99% of putts dead in the middle. Anyway instead if that why not make them catch 99% of normal dead center and even pitch putts.

This weekend I had a beautiful 35fter into a headwind fly slowly right into the pole and then stalled before hopping back out of the basket. Coda also had one on the very last hole from 30 for a birdie and I think we had a total of 5 for the round out of 5 players.

The bad thing is that I lost by a stroke but I guess Coda had one too and I'm sure that E-mac had one since it is "just part of the game". 1 stroke = possible $400
What if, in the early days of basketball, someone painted a strip of hot tar down the middle of the backboard. They found that when the ball hit the sticky tar, it would ooze down and fall through the hoop - most of the time. The high percentage shot was to hit the tar and hope the ball sticks to it. Soon, hardly anyone was actually trying to arc the ball to fall through the hoop.

Much effort was put into developing better tar strips. People argued over thicker vs. thinner, the ideal temperature, how wide the strip should be. Pros would whine about "bounce-offs" and complain that the tar strip didn't catch as well from certain angles. One pro said he couldn't see why, after all this time, no one could invent a tar strip that would catch a "well-thrown" ball every time.

The top pros could stand at half court and hurl the ball overhand into the tar strip almost every time. The game devolved into nothing but getting to half court and hurling. A long shot like this was called the most exciting play in basketball.

Not many could imagine what was lost: alley-oop passes, finger rolls, slam dunks, drives to the basket, screens, pick-and-roll, etc. No one thought of the rich set of skills that could be learned: how to put backspin on the ball, put a high arc on it, control the length of a throw.

It was difficult to imagine that the game they came to know was not the best possible version of the game.
Whose to say the supposed perfect putt hits flat and center? All it says is must be supported by the bottom of the basket or chain assembly. Maybe the perfect putt should be one that come in on a hyzer on the right side of the chains (RHBH) like I throw?
The PDGA checked the files and there was no Board action taken to permanently approve the Spiderweb baskets. All they could find was the discussion regarding Mark Ellis going to make measurements and that would approve targets for use at the Worlds along with the fee that went to Steady Ed. The DGA dual chain patent was still in force in 1998 so that's why a license fee was paid to DGA. So there was no way the Spiderwebs could have been approved unless Alan had set up a licensing deal with the DGA. Both that patent and Ed happened to expire in 2002.
does anyone delete these threads when they r done with? i think it wopuld be a good idea, i keep seing the same thing being discussed on new threads be cause there are so many you can never find the old one.
I am discking said:
does anyone delete these threads when they r done with? i think it wopuld be a good idea, i keep seing the same thing being discussed on new threads be cause there are so many you can never find the old one.

That's the nature of the beast. As new players join this network...the same old stuff will be brought up over and over and over...........................and over. Not that its a bad thing just some will find it redundent from time too time too time....too time.
Mike said:
These are the baskets at Beaver Ranch in Conifer, Co near Denver. They are sweet, and I heard that they were made by a guy in Colorado. I like the top rim being angled in at the bottom, if you hit that it usually just deflects the disc in.

Those are sweet!! I'm gonna have to get up there this summer to check them out. Genius design, deflecting discs into the basket, WHAT a concept!!! Looks like if you hit the top it will deflect upward also, landing you closer in most cases, I presume.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968