www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If the basket was invented in the early to mid seventies to accomodate the super class disc, shouldnt it be made smaller for modern putters? Look at the size of a golf ball compared to the hole. We have it way to easy. Id like to roll a disc into a laid over metal can so u have to use the terrain in the factor.

Views: 242

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I think that we are making a common mistake in many of these discussions. We are consistently comparing ourselves to ball golf. I agree that the sports have many common threads, but our focus should be on our sport as a unique entity.
I for one would not subject myself to the horror that is ball golf putting. On the other hand, ball golfers don't tee off with a dozen trees planted directly in his/her path. Ball golfers don't play on jagged boulders or hit their ball while IN the water or some gnarly blackberry bush.
Our game has a high focus on interaction with nature, let that be the challenge. If a hole is getting birdied consistently, move the basket. Or the the tee. Make the hole longer. I for one like making a monster s-curve through the trees over putting any day. I also hate a good putt spit right back out at me, so lets increase the difficulty in other areas instead.
I like the fact that the baskets aren't perfect. Missing that crucial putt because it blew through the chains builds mental toughness. Being able to shed that from your mind as you walk up to your next 30 footer for the deuce, priceless. I have learned in tournament play that a short memory is your best friend. So i guess the basket not being perfect is a great training tool. Ever notice though, that putt you missed that blew through the chains. It actually looked a little high on the chains to the rest of your group. HHHHmmmmmmmmm?????????????
...mute the ching??? No, say it aint so! You go out there & break those chains loose. You set those chains free.

Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun said:
We've found a solution for spit-outs, at least it works on the BRATS Chainstars. We painted the baskets, chains and all, with barn (red) paint. It mutes the "ching" and eliminates spit-outs.
I know Yeddie.. I was thinking the same thing. Unless their neighbors don't like the sounds of the chains. But it sounds to me if they have course in their backyard...I doubt they have neighbors that close.

...mute the ching??? No, say it aint so! You go out there & break those chains loose. You set those chains free
I like the idea of using bailout money to replace baskets :D
the idea is to make it harder to make a basket!

Donny Olow said:
More Chains !!!!!! Less bounce outs and blow throughs !!!!!
I dont know about you guys, but I went and played ball golf the other day and was staring down a sloped green with small hills. I almost had a heart attack when I struck the ball. when i put, I dont get that feeling. Replacing all the baskets would be ridicolous, directional baskets are a cool idea. but a ball golf cup is omnidirectional.
If we want to get out from under the shadow of another sport shouldnt we try to do things differently? Its kind of in the spirit of the sport. some guy had a dream about a basket with hanging chains. I dont thing we get the respect we deserve. Why does it all have to be like ball golf? The whole purpose of this discussion was to think outside the chains

lefty tom said:
the idea is to make it harder to make a basket!

Donny Olow said:
More Chains !!!!!! Less bounce outs and blow throughs !!!!!
Is a Basket ment to Deflect or Catch ?
The game dynamics should be the most important consideration when discussing whether new equipment innovations should be allowed or rules changed. That is if you believe the original sport/game was well designed in the first place. Unfortunately, our sport/game has evolved without much control over equipment innvovations in terms of how they affected the game dynamics itself. The first watershed was the introduction of the target in the late 70s. Then the next big change was the bevel edged disc in the early 80s which biased the game that had been played up to that time more toward driving distance versus approach shots and putting.

The average size of the discs continued to shrink and the addition of inner sets of chains on targets reduced the challenge of putting even further. Continuing in this trend, I'm surprised we haven't decided to just eliminate baskets competely and just make the game about how close your tee or approach shot is to a post using circles marked in the ground like dart rings. Imagine how much less expensive courses could be?

The irony is that one of the key differences between Advanced players and Open players in our current game is putting skill/consistency. So making putting more difficult again would be one way to further differentiate between Advanced players who just have big arms like the pros but who haven't yet developed the much better putting skills needed to survive on tour.

An interesting approach for ball golf would be to have two different pin locations on each green with one having a larger diameter hole for rec players and the other would be regulation size. Players could then choose which set of pins they would play that day. It's a little more complicated and more expensive to duplicate that concept for DG. However, with the introduction of Super Class discs, perhaps pros could be required to putt with the larger diameter Super Class discs within 10m and ams continue to use their current putters. No new equipment is then required. That would provide a definite difference in the step up from am to pro and get the putting challenge a little more back in balance, at least at the highest level.
I say someone needs to remake the Spiderweb!

There are already a few baskets that catch fine but even they have the occasional spit. The others are poop IMO.
Alan Pier is still making them. If he gets the target submitted then he can have them PDGA Approved. I think Nathan may be looking at using them on his new course.
Chuck Kennedy said:
Alan Pier is still making them. If he gets the target submitted then he can have them PDGA Approved. I think Nathan may be looking at using them on his new course.

Yeah and they along with the other good ones need to find their way onto more courses.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968