www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If the basket was invented in the early to mid seventies to accomodate the super class disc, shouldnt it be made smaller for modern putters? Look at the size of a golf ball compared to the hole. We have it way to easy. Id like to roll a disc into a laid over metal can so u have to use the terrain in the factor.

Views: 248

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Since this is a drive for show type of game, and I suck at putting, let's work on making courses longer and tougher so driving and upshots play a larger role in terms of %age of shots, making it different than ball golf in that way. It would probably be more fun to watch on tv (sponsorship) and attract players that way too. Making us all putt twice as much at smaller targets would slow the game down and make it boring.
Playing with Super Class adds more upshots and no more property is required. Putting is tougher and looks a lot cooler since the discs fly slower.
CBass said:
The only thing I would change is the old baskets at many courses, meaning I would replace them with the new ones that are available now. Besides, that changes the sport somewhat dramatically. All the hard work of the top pros pays off for them. Smaller baskets would make it tougher on newbies, possibly turning them off of disc golf. We wouldn't want that.

Word to that!!!
I watched the video...It looks like a decent basket. It appears shots won't get stuck in the side of the cage. It always made me wonder how come a shot stuck in the side counted and one on top didn't. It should be either they both counted or neither counted.
The true skill - the essence of the game - is to land the disc IN the basket. If you want to be sloppy and throw AT the chains - well, live with what happens.
So, I guess when a top pro putt at the chains (like they all do) that must mean they are all sloppy, and don't know the essense of the game?
Precisely. They're target-shooting, not putting. The chains put the disc in the basket, not the player.

We play with "flying discs". Controlled flight implies accurate, soft landings. A disc can be thrown into chains on a ballistic path. It would need to be flown into an open basket.

I just think it would be a more interesting game without the crutch of the chains. Players would need to fine-tune the speed control on their putts. It would make approach shot-accuracy more important. Aren't these the reasons we're even having the discussion on updating the baskets?

Mike said:
So, I guess when a top pro putt at the chains (like they all do) that must mean they are all sloppy, and don't know the essense of the game?
Steve West said:
The true skill - the essence of the game - is to land the disc IN the basket. If you want to be sloppy and throw AT the chains - well, live with what happens.

YEAH!! Who needs Chains................When do we get the moving baskets?
.....or yet the disappearing...re-appearing basket? How sweet would that be...Tactical Putting!!!!
I like this suggestion about removing the chains but I think that may be too great of a leap from what we do now. Chuck's suggestion of new chains seems to make sense. Also, anyone agree that the idea of being penalized for landing on top of the basket seems a bit arbitrary, especially when wedged shots below are good. :) That is what was set out in the original rules, so we slam chains!! I think that most of these "PERFECT" putts are not and cannot be perfect, A lil more spin or a lil less spin.... or say a lil more left/right/up/down... or even a lil harder/softer and it would have been a better putt and went it(not perfect, but it went in)

P.S. 130 replies and counting.... This site rocks!!!!!

Steve West said:
Precisely. They're target-shooting, not putting. The chains put the disc in the basket, not the player.

We play with "flying discs". Controlled flight implies accurate, soft landings. A disc can be thrown into chains on a ballistic path. It would need to be flown into an open basket.

I just think it would be a more interesting game without the crutch of the chains. Players would need to fine-tune the speed control on their putts. It would make approach shot-accuracy more important. Aren't these the reasons we're even having the discussion on updating the baskets?

Mike said:
I have enough trouble as it is! Smaller baskets? Why don't you make me throw with a broken arm, too? I agree that this game is easier than ball golf. The probability of an ace proves that. But saying "we have it way too easy" is just wrong. I think what you meant to say was "we have it a little easier".
This game is a little easier, but I think if it were that easy there would be a lot more of us that would be able to play with the big dogs. But there isn't. So by looking at that alone is this game still way to easy, and if so why are you still interested? I always feel I can improve my game, and putting is the most important skill to have in your bag, but not the only one. I don't necessarily feel that without chains it would make you practice your upshots more, I try to be as close as possible so I can throw a nose down putt so it won't go thru the chains. If you were beginning this sport over again would you want smaller baskets, or baskets with no chains?? When I have played post courses (not the little short ones)we always use the big ultimate discs to putt with to give them a better chance to hit the post, not our new smaller putters or minis to make it more difficult. And when those hit they count, dosn't matter how hard or off to one side it hits, it counts.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968