www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

For immediate release:

August 25, 2010

This year marks the 12th anniversary of the United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC). Since its inception in 1999, the USDGC has grown into one of disc golf’s premier championship events. Innova Disc Golf, in association with the event’s many volunteers, sponsors, USDGC Partners, Winthrop University, and the Professional Disc Golf Association, is extremely proud to have been such an integral part of our game’s history.
Innova considers it a privilege to be in a leadership position. We have seen disc golf, and our business, grow and change tremendously over nearly three decades. The disc golf market is continually expanding and Innova is more committed than ever to improving our service to this incredibly diverse community of players.

In recognition of the growth of disc golf around the globe, we have decided to move the USDGC to a biennial schedule. Effective immediately, the USDGC will alternate years with Europe’s major event – The European Open. The USDGC will be held in even numbered years and the European Open in odd numbered years. This will enable better global promotion of professional disc golf, as well as afford us an opportunity to serve another important segment of the disc golf population.

Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop. Despite these changes our mission remains the same; to live disc golf and to enable others to discover such a wonderful lifetime sport.

We are excited about the future of disc golf, more so than ever before. Opportunity for the game’s advancement abounds. We are confident that this new schedule will allow the USDGC to sustain its tradition of excellence, while building an even better fan base for the game’s elite.

One thing you can count on this fall is that Innova and the USDGC family are steadily preparing for our greatest tournament experience to date. We look forward to October, and to seeing you here.

Warmest regards,

Innova Disc Golf

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, there happens to be a rumor running wild around my area that one of our Hall of Famers is trying to get the USDGC to move to English In. at the Olde English Golf Course. It has been said that this person would add $5000 cash to the payout if it happens. I won't mention any names, simply because this is a rumor. Has anyone heard anything about this?
I know that (probably the same Someone) has been working on a high profile event at Olde English for a couple years now, so that rumor doesn't surprise me. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that any alternate to Winthrop would be somewhere West to add some geographic variety. I've found that USDGC rumors are about 95% wrong, historically (unless Chuck starts them).
cant innova hand the responsiblility of the event over to another company or governing body? can we rotate the course that it is played on? If disc golf is created here in the united states, shouldnt it be here every year?
Golf originated in The united kingdom and as far as I know, they hold the championship every year after many many years. I am in agreement that the usdgc is superior to the worlds and the worlds should be held every two years
Sure, if you pay for it.
This just off the USDGC facebook......................

United States Disc Golf Championship Dates for next year's USDGC are confirmed for October 5-8, 2011. The first qualifying event is the Piney Woods Pro-Am in Tyler, TX on December 11 & 12, 2010. Details coming very soon at usdgc.com.

So have they changed their minds on an event for 2011?
Possibly not. They just said that every other year would be Ams. This could be a reservation for the Am event.
This is the message I just received.

The USDGC will definately return in 2011. It will be a handicap-based event open to a much broader group of people. Same course, Same experience. Lower entry fee.

Qualifying will also be handicap-based. The Piney Woods event will run as it normally would, then qualifiers will be determined based on their performance relative totheir handicap or skill level. Thise handicaps will be based on PDGA ratings and enable all divisions, not just the pros, a fair chance to earn a spot.

It's confusing, I know. We are working on getting the information out there.
This is interesting news, we're having a great debate over a bid for 2011 based on what was done in 2010.

Chuck, you got anything to add to this? Or any other PDGA official?
Not sure what you mean by bid? Innova was always going to run a different event in the odd years. Didn't know if it would also be called the USDGC though.
It was a bid that we all competed for here in AK to go to the 2011 one before we found out that it was going to change to bi-yearly.

So, just to clarify...there is no Pro only USDGC like years past, it is am in odd years and pro in even years?

I only ask again because of the aforementioned posts.
I think it is great to give Ams a chance to play. Hopefully it will not be a qualifying type event.
2011 will be open to players in all divisions and all ratings including Feldberg if he qualifies and decides to play. But scores in all rounds will be handicapped based on a player's PDGA Rating.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968