www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I will be in the Chicago area over Memorial Day and was going to have time to play one, maybe two courses.  I have never played there before, so I don't know which courses are super, and which ones to avoid; and didn't want to waste my time with a bad course.  I am traveling with my girlfriend, so I think she is going to let me play one 18, and one 9 holer.  We will probably not have a car, so courses within walking distance of the CTA would be preferable, but not exclusive.  It also might be something that we do on our last day with a rented car, so if it's not next to a CTA station, it's not completely out.  Also, I'll only have a few discs with me (driver, mid, putt) to conserve space, so keep that in mind.  I don't need to be playing a worlds course with 1,000 ft holes with essentially 1 disc.

Thanks in advance!

Tags: best, chicago, courses, traveling

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

bump?
Where exactly in chicago will you be staying?? i would recommend shorewood its a very nice 18 hole course.. lots of wooded alley shots but most are under 200 feet soo its a small course as well... im not sure about to many cta stops even after living in the Chi area for my whole life lol... let me know if you have any more questions
Pretty much up by the airport. I think the plan is to get a car our last day so we have a place to put our luggage before our flight leaves in the evening. So anything is game really as long as it's not super far away.
I would suggest The Oaks in Mokena it has 24 holes and is one of the best in the area.

Also Oswego is a nice course with half open half in the woods 18 holer
Joliet area has a nice batch of courses with West Park, Community par in Channahon, shorewood, and highland.
To the north streamwood.

9 holers check out Castaldo Park DGC

Courses I would stay away from to save time, Jericho Lake in Aurora, Campton Hills in St. Charles, IIC in Chicago, Sunrise Park in Bartlett, Knock knolls in Naperville, Madison Meadows park and Lombard Commons park in Lombard, volunteer park in Romeoville, Goose Lake in Roselle, Avery Preserve in Plainfield,
The only course I can think of near public transportation is Adler in Libertyville. Adler is a very good nine-holer and is a few blocks north of the train station on Milwaukee Avenue.

Oh, um, the Fly-18 course is close to a train station. It is actually in Chicago. Not sure if it is open. It floods in the spring.

The Lombard course is probably the best 18 holer close to Chicago but it is not so close to a train station.

The Oaks, West Park, Mokena etc. all way south of the city down near I-80. They are your best group of courses but not public transportation friendly.
The Fly-18 is Edgebrook.
If you are staying up by O'Hare, then the course in Streamwood is probably the closet 18-holer that you can hit up that's worth playing. The best courses are the group down in the Joliet area (Channahon, Highland in Joliet, Mokena), but that will be more of a drive for you. If you are in Chicago proper, IIT has a course on the campus and can be reached via public transit, but I have not ventured in to play it yet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968