www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I volunteered to spot for the players (including some pros, as well as some "pros") at a local tournament recently, and the guys who ran the show were great as were 95% of the players. I got many thanks for my time, etc., which was very cool.

There was one cocky guy whom I won't forget, though. When he landed a 400'+ teeshot that had to hyzer around a large tree on a stretch of land about 30' wide (dead center), I complimented the throw and said, "Man, I'd like to see that one again!"

He answered in a manner that indicated how bored he was with his own greatness, "How many times?"

Just my personal opinion: don't be that guy. I passed up the majority of a day with my family to give something back to the sport, and it's too bad that the one jackass in the field is the thing I remember the most about an otherwise fantastic event.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All I can say is that i would like to think that "that guy" is an exception and not the rule. Most people that are better than I (and most are) that I have met have been courteous and well mannered. Any person that is that "confident" in his game is probably that good at disc golf because he lacks any other kind of life and that would also be a testament to the fact that he probably has few friends since he has a vein that runs from his A$$ to his eyes that gives him a $hitty outlook on life.
Maybe he was being sarcastic? You made a sarcastic comment, so he replied with one.
kindofabuzz said:
Maybe he was being sarcastic? You made a sarcastic comment, so he replied with one.

im with kindofabuzz, im very sarcastic and people think im just being a dickhead all the time.

or maybe he is good and can park that shot everytime and thinks that he deserves respect for all the time and practice it took for him to be that good and get that shot down, so he replies with an asshole response. just a thought.
Arrogant people play all sports, what "this guy" said has nothing to do with anyone wanting to be like ball golf.

I've seen arrogant people from all walks of life, it doesnt matter how much cash they have, if they think they're that good, they'll let everyone know about it.

Dumb silence rules? I know I wouldnt want to putt out on the 18th for a few thousand dollars if there were 500-1000 people being as loud as they wanted, and even in casual rounds I appreciate my playing partners to keep it down during my throw, and I do the same for them. Its about RESPECT, not about being like ball golf.
It's good to Volunteer if your not playing !!!! It helps the tournament !!! Don't concern yourself with any of the negative players as they have their own issues which they need to deal with !!!! Stay positive and keep encouraging good play !!!!!
im with hootie... i like silence rules and a dress code wouldnt be bad either for serious play. it cant do anything but good for the sport. i cant count the times someone has called my a "hippy" just because i play discgolf, what a horrible sterotype.
I have still been told that Disc Golf is not a real Sport !!!! I'm sure they don't even know what Real Disc Golf is all about !!!!
Get over it Josh Lotto! Boo-hoo!! I know your game, although I've never seen you play. It's pretty dan good. Keep up your sense of humor high and drop what the dude said. Not worth the negativity. Your game is more important than his comments. Keep up your good game. I wish I had your disc talent.
K.

joshlotto said:
im with hootie... i like silence rules and a dress code wouldnt be bad either for serious play. it cant do anything but good for the sport. i cant count the times someone has called my a "hippy" just because i play discgolf, what a horrible sterotype.
i remember when i was spotting at the worlds, it was barely 8 am and I was on a second shift schedule so needless to say i wasn't all there at the time. since it was a shotgun start there were groups passing through right away. i was waiting at the end of the straight part of a dogleg (if that makes sense) and getting ready to tell the players on the tee they could go ahead. i got up and started telling this girl who was sitting on a stool that she had to move because she might get hit by the oncoming group. right when i was saying the notorious sound of a disc railing the side of the basket on my hole!! the girl was waiting for her pro-disc-golfing-in-the-semi-finals-of-the-world-championship boyfriend who missed his putt because i was moving AND talking. it ruined the better part of my day i felt like such an idiot. the guy was VERY respectful considering the circumstances. i could tell how angry he was about what i did but he just told me something like, "just for future reference, you're not supposed to move when someone is throwing. you can stand anywhere just can't move." He was actually looking out for his competition to make sure they didn't lose a stroke the way he did. that made me feel even worse, but anyway i think he was a great example for the amount of respect players show volunteers. overall in the tournament they were going out of their way to make sure i wasn't working too hard for them and to thank me. the ones i met that thought they were better than me were easily forgettable.

On a side note professional ball golfers, from my experience, are also very respectful. overall less than disc, but they aren't all the country club stuck up stereotypical type. a lot of them would get along with discers very easily so i don't see the point in so many discers grouping them as our enemies.
thats it ken, im slashing your tires next time i see you.
It is not always fair to judge someone based on their social skills in the middle of a tournament round. Some players put a ton of work into preparing for competition. Some players are very intense while competing. Some players are so upset with themselves if they are performing poorly they are not concentrating on the outside world.

As I have mentioned on other theads, I suffer from all those flaws and more. I don't mean to be obnoxious. I wish I could help myself and be a model of patience and diplomacy at all times.

I have experienced a varied and mixed bag of tournament volunteers including spotters. I don't say this in isolation. I have been on both sides. I have worked many tournaments. I have run tournaments great and small. I have made stupid mistakes while running tournaments that diminished the fairness and enjoyment of the players. I try very hard to never make a mistake twice.

When it comes to spotters, I have had great spotters. I have had horror stories. I would much, much, much rather have no spotter than a bad spotter. Most spotters are not tournament players. Some don't even play the game. The concepts of courtesy are foreign to them. A basic understanding of the rules is beyond them. Some are given brief directions by a tournament official then want to enforce their twisted ideas of how tournaments should be conducted or how a rule should be enforced. I played in a group during a World Championships where, by chance, every member of the group was a certified official and a spotter, who didn't know an OB line from a mando (or his rear end from...) insisted we do things his way.

I have thrown bad and deeply disappointing shots only to have a spotter give me an enthusiastic congratulation. I have had spotters interfere with my shots for a variety of reasons. I had a spotter insist my disc went in a pond at a particular spot. Mark it, take the penalty, take the next shot them walk up to where my shot really landed, perfectly in bounds.

Spotters scare me. I have no problem doing cooperative spotting within my group. I do know that many spotters expect praise no matter how well they do their job. The worst spotters likely do not appreciate the harm they do.

None of this is meant to demean kcbrez009 in the least. He may be the best spotter in the world. A flippant comment from a competitor in the middle of a round would not cause me any upset were I a spotter, volunteer or spectator.
I was spotting at a tournament in 1997, an experience I really only recall from the spectacular case of Poison Ivy I picked up that weekend. Anyway, this summer I was taking to a guy about the course the event was held at because despite having played it dozens of times I was having zero recollection of what it was like. The first thing he said was "You have to remember hole 7. Remember you spotted that hole at a Gateway Open. I threw a beat Cyclone and you told me it was the best drive on that hole all day."

Up to that point, it really made no difference to me one way or the other that I had given up a perfectly lovely summer weekend to stand in the woods developing a horrible rash while people threw Cyclones at me. But once he said that I was glad I did. I'm sure plenty of folks were jerks to me that weekend, but at this point I don't remember any of them.

Before I had kids and moved hours away from a course I did a few things. I worked at a few tournaments. I ran tournaments great and small. OK, so they were all small. Anyway...the point is I probably made more mistakes than things I did right, so there are a lot of things I can look back on and wish I had done differently. Unfortunately I was not able to stay involved long enough to turn those learning experiences into better events, but sometimes life has different ideas. Despite the baggage I carry around from not-so-great events I TD'ed, I'd regret it more if I hadn't done anything.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968