www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A lesson should be learned how to get change.

It takes numbers, lots of them.

I wonder if there are any 'disc golfers' out there on wall street.

Why not put a 'portable' basket in the crowd? Putting only, don't want to 'bonk' anyone on the head, wasn't that on a TV show recently? Woohoo.

"Don't need to offend anyone, because these problems are real, but just a thought here."

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. all promote and grow their fan base and feed their ranks EVERYDAY because they market themselves to kids.

All my kids have been to baseball and softball clinics promoted by the Dodgers and Team USA softball. My son has had the opportinty to meet several professional ball players and coaches, and my girls flipped over meeting the gals from team USA.

Our local female pro Indigo Brude has been the biggest influence on my daughters playing dg outside of playing with dad. This interest, coupled with support from top pros and the PDGA should be able to kick off at least a handful of youth leagues in some strategic areas. Having dg in the college ranks has been the hottest thing going in the sport right now, but we have to get them younger.

Even tabacco companies targeted kids to promote long term growth.

Agree.

The future is with the 'youth.' As always.

Wish there was a way that it could be in the school systems.

A disc golf course on every high school property would be an amiable goal.

It needs to get into schools.

Traveling disc golf teams. They do it with traditional golf.

There is a school not too far from me that gives the kids a choice between regular pe class and a disc golf class. The only thing about the disc golf class is the kids have to get their own discs. I gave a couple kids discs a few.years back so they could take this class.

At my son's high school they had an ultimate club.

He played disc golf and a few others did.

Disc golf 'club's are also an option.

I've played against a few of these kids at La Mirada's monthly tournaments:

http://lhsocdgc.weebly.com/about-us.html

I like what many of the replies have to say. I think it is important to influence kids when they are at the right age. In some instances this Nike sponsorship type influence teaches money, not really about joy of a game or sport. 

I am fairly new to DG. Got the bug this year in fact. Three years ago I got the distance running bug. Good for me really, I have been 40 pounds lighter and beyond happier. Not really the point though. However, I will make the comparison. The distance running groups bare none are the most inviting and encouraging bunch of sport/game people on the planet. Runners will cheer anyone that is willing to try. I cannot say the same about DG. I have met some really great people playing DG, however there are a fair number of bad apples as well. In three years of distance running and pushing a race every third weekend, I have yet to run into this same sort of thing. If DG wants to expand, encourage everyone to do their best, accomplishments and desire to improve. Look at the stats for increase in runners signing up for races in the past 10 years as evidence. Most if not all half marathons are by lottery due to so many entries. In concept folks are willing to gamble a 12 week training cycle and about $75 bucks, that they will be able to run 13.1 miles. Compared to a nice relaxing day playing a wonderful game....hmm. Again...my two cents.....

"the most inviting and encouraging bunch of sport/game people on the planet. Runners will cheer anyone that is willing to try."

Disc golf used to be like that around here 20 years ago. 

My girlfriend is a runner. Her events sometimes get in the 1000's of entries.

Everyone is positive.

99=100% of the time, in involvement from sponsors, event coordinators and so on.

Look on the internet now how popular triathlons are getting.

The aspect I like is the options, 3k, 5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon, wilderness runs, bike races....

there are options.

They say attitude is everything. But I do notice that there are many manufacturers creating product for this growth. Disc golf needs numbers. At the local (shorter course) saw kids, newbies all over. Believe that most are there for recreation, but some are looking for direction. It has to be positive.

My son ran cross country in high school. The events were the same at that level.

You always had positive energy from everyone.

I agree with Bruce's statement below, disc golf used to be like that.

What happened? A few do all the work and either are thanked or expected to do more for free?!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968