www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am a RHBH, thrown since 1994 (with 11 years out in the Caribbean). I used to throw 300, now average 270.  Working on my side-arm, my APE is the best control for distance. Yet Innova says don't use the Ape unless you can throw 300 all the time? I've tried Boss's, Katana's and a couple different Nukes. None of what I've thrown or tried from friends, works for me like the Ape. Yet I have problems with head winds. I carry 10 discs and own 40 or more.

I think I prefer understable, too.

Why shouldn't I just order 4 Ape factory seconds and work on my side arm?

Tags: Apes, side-arm

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ape is an overstable disc. If it works for you then throw it.

I throw several different types of discs sidearm.

It usually depends on the shot at hand.

Firebird, Max, Ape 1st Run, Stable Nuke, Stable Boss 1st Run. Each of these discs have different characteristics about them that you will learn over time in throwing them. Even throw a Road Runner sidearm to get around corners without having to 'kill' the shot. And every so often 'flick' a putt with the KC Pro Aviar. In other words, expand your game.

These are usually 175g and champion plastic.... you want to get used to getting a clean 'on top of follow through.'

Upon release keep the palm of your hand facing upward.

And definitely always keep perfecting your putting! (The short game wins rounds).

tHE SHARP EDGE ON THE APE makes it grab your hand. Try the nuke os.

I don't drive all that much with a sidearm throw anymore. I still do it when the shot calls for it however.

I prefer to use the sidearm shot for upshots and my disc of choice is a Banshee because it is so controllable. If you are having trouble with headwind you need to put the disc on a hyzer angle.

I agree. Ditch the Ape and try a Nuke OS.

I've been practicing/starting my forehand recently as well.  Is it ok to throw mid via forehand?  I'm getting a lot of wobble so far.. which I think means to much power and not enough spin.. any advice would be great.  I have 10 mid range discs so I've been practicing with them and a couple drivers.

To learn to control forehand drives you want the most forgiving disc with the least stability you can get away with.  So a dead stable ( flies straight, finishes mostly straight) disc without a wide rim.  Exactly what this disc is depends on your power, your form and how much flutter you have.  Stability of a disc is relative to the player.  A disc which is overstable for you may not be for me.

The wide rimmed discs: Nukes, Bosses, Apes, etc. are touchier and harder to control.  They also glide farther than a smaller rimmed counterpart of the same stability when you throw them perfectly.  So a wide rimmed driver is better for players with developed skills than someone just learning a new shot.  This does not mean you cannot experiment with them and start the process of learning them, just that they are not a good choice as a primary driver.

As a sidearmer, I love the Crush family of discs.  These discs are smaller rimmed drivers which are basically the same disc in different stabilities.  From most overstable to least they are: Crush, Surge, Flash, Surge SS, Rogue.  The Z Crush, Z Flash and  Proline Rogue have been staples in my bag for years.  They combine controllability and glide better than any other discs I have thrown.  Btw, for all out distance I throw Nukes.

The Crush is overstable but not drastically so.  If a disc is too overstable it becomes a meat hook which controls you more than visa versa.  The Crush is workably overstable in my hands (400 foot golf distance power).  The Flash is dead straight stable, perfect for long, tight tunnels and shaping shots.  The Rogue is my anhyzer driver if I need to hit a precise line.  But as always, how a disc works for one player guarantees nothing unless the next guy has similar form and power.

To Chris on the midrange question:  Any disc can be thrown forehand including a mid.  Dial back on power and release perfectly flat and a medium stable disc (Buzzz for me) will fly on a frozen rope.  It takes practice, of course.

Forehands are so tricky to learn that it is advisable to search out a good player to give you a lesson.  Many players cannot recognize what they are doing.  I tell them to throw flat and straight and they shank off to one side and tell me they threw that one flat and straight and it didn't work.  I tell them the disc does not lie.

If you tell me what your disc does instead of going straight I might be able to tell you what you are doing wrong.

Try the Avery Pop-Top Star Destroyers !!!!!!

I have a factory second *Destroyer that I love throwing forehand.

Mark do you ever throw the avenger forehand?  I have been throwing it a lot recently and getting pretty good results. 

I have never been an Avenger fan.  The Crush family works much better for me.

I always recommend the Raging Inferno (not the DT version) for those that throw forehand. The inner lip is curved and feels like it's almost molded for throwing forehand! Very comfortable to throw, and it beats in from super overstable to slightly overstable over the course of its life; go to driver for sure.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968