www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am 29, I have been playing for around 10 years. My game is a little off right now, I am currently in Iraq and I am going to get back to the states around October of 2009. I am going to register with the PDGA for next season and planning to play a bunch of local tournaments in about a 200 miles or so range from my home.

I have never played in a PDGA tournament and I would like to know what type of amateur class i should play in? (such as open, advanced, and so on) I shoot around par for my home course give or take a few. I would say on a difficult course maybe 58 or so on a alright/half bad day. Any help would be appreciated

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

play am3 and see how you do, if you smoke everyone, move up! or if your confident in your skill start in am1 and if you do well then stay, if not move down. i wouldnt recommend playing open in your first PDGA tourny.
Ok when i look a registrations i see like open, advanced and some others. which does that fallen under? Or when i do register will i see like a am3?
I go by what tier the event is. C I'm inter., Advance, maybe. Anything B or A, I play what my rating is. I hear bagger all the time, but so what. I'm 894 and am playing rec. in Texas States next weekend. People can say what they want and it is what it is. Alot of pros told me that in big events to play your rating and that's what i've been doing. I listen to the people that know how to play, not the people that just go to play. I'm a bagger and i get pay outs.
Ok thanks for your help
Justin Ellsworth said:
I go by what tier the event is. C I'm inter., Advance, maybe. Anything B or A, I play what my rating is. I hear bagger all the time, but so what. I'm 894 and am playing rec. in Texas States next weekend. People can say what they want and it is what it is. Alot of pros told me that in big events to play your rating and that's what i've been doing. I listen to the people that know how to play, not the people that just go to play. I'm a bagger and i get pay outs.
Justin Ellsworth said:
I'm 894 and am playing rec. I'm a bagger and i get pay outs.
and what kind of payouts do you get in rec division?
I would suggest playing rec, or if you want to cash and get discs your first couple times go novice until they kick you out. However, you would benefit from playing Intermediate or Adv if you would rather learn then cash.
Right on that sounds good. I am having some discs sent over here right now to get my drive on. I think that sounds good. I want to win cash, who dont? I do also want a challenge so like you said i might go ahead and try rec at first and then move. I am hitting as many tournys as possible next year. I will probally start with the Ice Bowl in KC. I still get a points rating for Rec right?
You will only get points and ratings for PDGA sanctioned events. If that paticular ice bowl is sanctioned then yes, otherwise NO.

Also Ams don't get paid in cash they get paid in Discs and tropheys. You could sell the discs for cash though if you get the right ones to sell.
DIRTY DOG said:
Right on that sounds good. I am having some discs sent over here right now to get my drive on. I think that sounds good. I want to win cash, who dont? I do also want a challenge so like you said i might go ahead and try rec at first and then move. I am hitting as many tournys as possible next year. I will probally start with the Ice Bowl in KC. I still get a points rating for Rec right?
Isn't 1000 points or so to move to pro?
http://www.pdga.com/ratings

Check out this website, it will give you a good idea on what you think you should do. I would say start off in int. then move your way up if you do well.
sounds like you should start at intermediate ams, move up to advanced am if you do good. only pros get paid, 1000 rating is pretty good, and not easy to accomplish. but good luck.
For your first PDGA sanctioned event play in the lowest division offered.

Playing with your buddies and playing in tournaments are very different things. No matter how good (or bad) you think you are, until you learn how to deal with the rules and the pace and the process of tournaments you are just guessing what level you belong in.

Once you play in a PDGA sanctioned event you will earn a handicap rating. That rating will tell you what division the PDGA thinks you belong in. You can always play in a tougher division than your handicap rating but not below it.

Be safe. Good luck in Iraq.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968